Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

What language do I use?

Started by SureLockHomes Mar 18, 2013 at 3:30 AM 15 replies 4.5k views
Original Post
SureLockHomes
SureLockHomes

Ok so I know it's been asked a thousand times, but what language truly should be used to make good quality games. You can use any and there isn't a specific one, but based on the fact that I know a small-medium amount in C#(XNA framework), C++(just basic stuff), and Python(a little more than I know about C++)...which should I try to learn the most in right now for developing an independent, most likely 2D, game? I don't really have a preference on which one I like the best, I also would like to note that I plan on a future in game design, be it independent or professional(at a AAA company).

Cornstalks
Cornstalks

Ok so I know it's been asked a thousand times, but what language truly should be used to make good quality games.

Out of curiosity, why do you think you'll get The One True Answer if it's never been given before in the thousands of times this question has been asked?

You can use any and there isn't a specific one

And you just answered your own question.

but based on the fact that I know a small-medium amount in C#(XNA framework), C++(just basic stuff), and Python(a little more than I know about C++)...which should I try to learn the most in right now for developing an independent, most likely 2D, game?

Any of them. Seriously, you're very likely (as in 100% likely if you actually have any interest in programming) to learn several languages as you go through life making games. Using one now doesn't prevent you from using a different one later. Just pick whichever one you enjoy working in the most. And if there isn't one that stands out as particularly interesting or enjoyable to you, put them on a dart board and throw darts until you hit one. Seriously.

Good luck smile.png

Khaiy
Khaiy

You should use the language you know best, which in your case sounds like C#. Plus, you already know some of an API that works with C#. That's a great recipe that you won't have with any other language or API right now.

The quality of games you make has everything to do with your skill as a coder and a game designer, and virtually nothing to do with the language you choose. The other factors you're hinting at are irrelevant at this point in your skill development.

     -------R.I.P.-------      Selective Quote ~Too Late - Too Soon~
SureLockHomes
SureLockHomes


And if there isn't one that stands out as particularly interesting or enjoyable to you, put them on a dart board and throw darts until you hit one.

Challenge Accepted.

cignox1
cignox1

Well, they could tell you which is the language (mostly) used to build core engines of games such as Crysis and the like. But as already said, that info will not make you a better coder, not will make you write your first games (which is something far more important).

iskatsu
iskatsu

If you like C# and not against going further in learning it, I'd say go with it.

I know you want to start as perfect as you can, but honestly don't affraid to make mistakes - it's a natural part of the learning process. At this point language wont be the thing that is holding you from creating your personal Crysis =)

ultramailman
ultramailman

I'd say python, because it is closer to the design aspects. It is fast enough for 2D games.

SureLockHomes
SureLockHomes


Still stuck on the decision.

If you hit all the languages with a dart, you set them up on your dart board wrong ;)

I can't find a dartboard xD

SureLockHomes
SureLockHomes

Ok C++, I found myself enjoying it more today.

Nicholas Kong
Nicholas Kong

Since you know Python and C#, go with that. From my experience programming games, learning game programming is just learning a graphics API(unfortunately where I study in college it is not taught) and solving problems given the data structures you already implemented

Bacterius
Bacterius


Still stuck on the decision.

If you hit all the languages with a dart, you set them up on your dart board wrong ;)

I can't find a dartboard xD

Make one! Where are your problem solving skills? tongue.png (tongue in cheek)

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”
Ravyne
Ravyne


Still stuck on the decision.

If you hit all the languages with a dart, you set them up on your dart board wrong ;)

I can't find a dartboard xD

Make one! Where are your problem solving skills? tongue.png (tongue in cheek)

Make one? Pick one! Nearly any noun will do-- people, places, things...

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");
SureLockHomes
SureLockHomes


Ok so I know it's been asked a thousand times, but what language truly should be used to make good quality games.

Out of curiosity, why do you think you'll get The One True Answer if it's never been given before in the thousands of times this question has been asked?

>You can use any and there isn't a specific one

And you just answered your own question.

but based on the fact that I know a small-medium amount in C#(XNA framework), C++(just basic stuff), and Python(a little more than I know about C++)...which should I try to learn the most in right now for developing an independent, most likely 2D, game?

Any of them. Seriously, you're very likely (as in 100% likely if you actually have any interest in programming) to learn several languages as you go through life making games. Using one now doesn't prevent you from using a different one later. Just pick whichever one you enjoy working in the most. And if there isn't one that stands out as particularly interesting or enjoyable to you, put them on a dart board and throw darts until you hit one. Seriously.

Good luck smile.png

Im going with C++, any suggestions on libraries for a 2D game, I will eventually start 3D so I was thinking SFML but it seems so tedious to set up.

SimonForsman
SimonForsman

Tedious to set up is something you have to get used to if you're going with C++ smile.png

SFML is fairly straightforward though, just follow the tutorial and you'll be fine.


Ok so I know it's been asked a thousand times, but what language truly should be used to make good quality games.

Out of curiosity, why do you think you'll get The One True Answer if it's never been given before in the thousands of times this question has been asked?

>>You can use any and there isn't a specific one

lockquote>

And you just answered your own question.

>but based on the fact that I know a small-medium amount in C#(XNA framework), C++(just basic stuff), and Python(a little more than I know about C++)...which should I try to learn the most in right now for developing an independent, most likely 2D, game?

Any of them. Seriously, you're very likely (as in 100% likely if you actually have any interest in programming) to learn several languages as you go through life making games. Using one now doesn't prevent you from using a different one later. Just pick whichever one you enjoy working in the most. And if there isn't one that stands out as particularly interesting or enjoyable to you, put them on a dart board and throw darts until you hit one. Seriously.

Good luck smile.png

Im going with C++, any suggestions on libraries for a 2D game, I will eventually start 3D so I was thinking SFML but it seems so tedious to set up.

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.