Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

HLSL debugger appears confused

Started by TobiasK Mar 26, 2013 at 3:22 PM 3 replies 1.6k views
Original Post
TobiasK
TobiasK

As I'm getting back into coding again after a break since before DX10, I'm currently struggling to get the most fundamental things working. One of my problem is that a quad I'm rendering refuses to render in anything but black.

I've tried using the HLSL debugger to see what my very simple vertex shader does, but it's kind of useless... Please see the attached picture.

Can someone explain why the left pane shows the correct data, but the watches in the debugger shows everything as 0 ? Is there a fix for this?

[attachment=14456:Untitled.png]

Zaoshi Kaba
Zaoshi Kaba

HLSL compiler might have reordered your code. If you attempt to debug optimized shader it usually jumps all over the place for no reason, you'll need to completely disable optimizations if you want to debug like this, but there's no point if you already see result on the left.

TobiasK
TobiasK

I compiled the shader with Debug and SkipOptimizations, are there any other flags I need to set?

Zaoshi Kaba
Zaoshi Kaba

Not really. Do values match if you set breakpoint at return?

TobiasK
TobiasK

No, they're always 0. I'm starting to suspect this is an issue with Win8...

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.