Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Ouya Launch Party

Started by Cornstalks Mar 29, 2013 at 3:58 AM 11 replies 2.3k views
Hodgman
Hodgman

Wow, the console looks a lot bigger than it did in their promo videos! cool.png

Cornstalks
Cornstalks

Wow, the console looks a lot bigger than it did in their promo videos! cool.png

Yeah, I was kind of disappointed to learn it wouldn't fit in my house...
NeoRetro
NeoRetro

Looks big enough for the GPU, CPU and RAM to be actual, mechanical devices...

Waterlimon
Waterlimon
Maybe they just decided to include an integrated virtual reality room with all the extra money they received...
o3o
MrJoshL
MrJoshL

I really wish I would not have bought one of these things. It seems like a waste of money in hindsight.

C dominates the world of linear procedural computing, which won't advance. The future lies in MASSIVE parallelism.
Cornstalks
Cornstalks

I really wish I would not have bought one of these things. It seems like a waste of money in hindsight.

Have you played it yet? We spent all night playing our two Ouyas and it's actually a ton of fun. Get a SNES/N64/whatever emulator and you can reminisce the old times. We played Contra III and Zelda forever last night and it was a ton of fun being able to do it on a proper TV with a controller as opposed to on a computer with an emulator.

There's also some really clever games. Fist of Awesome is hilarious. Dub Wars was actually pretty fun and a good audio/visual game. Puddle is pretty interesting, but a little slow for me. Canabalt is on there and of course that's cool. StalagFight was also really awesome.

It'll also serve as a cool media PC replacement for me. But mostly I'm excited for the indie games that will come out. I think it's going to give a lot of people the opportunity to make a console based game, with a TV and a controller, that otherwise wouldn't be able to and we'll see some real gems come out of it.
Ravyne
Ravyne

No such luck for me, but glad to hear they're ready to start shipping. I was a backer pretty early on, so I hope it'll show up in the next week or two.

The emulators are nice to have, but you can do that on just about anything. I'm more interested in seeing what the indies produce.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");
GeneralQuery
GeneralQuery


Wow, the console looks a lot bigger than it did in their promo videos! cool.png

Yeah, I was kind of disappointed to learn it wouldn't fit in my house...


That's the free game it comes bundled with. It's called "Try And Get This F*cker Into Your Living Room".

Edit: whoops, fixed quote
Khatharr
Khatharr


Wow, the console looks a lot bigger than it did in their promo videos! cool.png

Yeah, I was kind of disappointed to learn it wouldn't fit in my house...

I love you guys.

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
TheChubu
TheChubu

Looks big enough for the GPU, CPU and RAM to be actual, mechanical devices...

Charles Babbage would be so proud.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"   My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and 
tychon
tychon


But mostly I'm excited for the indie games that will come out. I think it's going to give a lot of people the opportunity to make a console based game, with a TV and a controller, that otherwise wouldn't be able to and we'll see some real gems come out of it.

This is largely why I got mine. I was tired of there being so few couch cooperative games that I wanted something that would let me make my own games to play with friends.

NeoRetro
NeoRetro

I'd love to game on this thing ... but I'll be VERY happy if I can use it to replace my EOL Boxee Box as my home media player.

It would be great if the unit stayed the same size and you could swap out the internals every year for the latest and greatest... :-)

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.