Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

File formats which export texture mappings from 3d CAD software?

Started by JoryRFerrell Apr 1, 2013 at 4:48 PM 1 replies 1.2k views
Original Post
JoryRFerrell
JoryRFerrell

I need to know of some formats which export texture maps so I can simply parse that and avoid having to hand map a texture to my models. I tried figuring out how .mtl files store their texture mapping. However, they just seem to reference the texture rather than recording the actual mapping. Any suggestions?

swiftcoder
swiftcoder

I'm not quite clear what you mean by "texture mapping". I presume you mean the texture coordinates (UV coordinates) that define how the texture is mapped to the surface of the model?

If so, pretty much every 3D model format supports them.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]
JoryRFerrell
JoryRFerrell

I'm not quite clear what you mean by "texture mapping". I presume you mean the texture coordinates (UV coordinates) that define how the texture is mapped to the surface of the model?

If so, pretty much every 3D model format supports them.

Well.....EMBARASSING. I overlooked how the texture coords are stored in obj file. I expected coords to be in .mtl file, not .obj.

NEEEEEVEEEEEEERMIND.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.