Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Chromebook

Started by rockstar8577 Apr 3, 2013 at 8:06 PM 15 replies 4.4k views
Original Post
rockstar8577
rockstar8577

Would a chromebook be a bad option for a portable device for programming?

rockstar8577
rockstar8577

I would mainly be doing Java and C++, with some external libraries probably for game stuff.

way2lazy2care
way2lazy2care

I would mainly be doing Java and C++, with some external libraries probably for game stuff.

You should be able to get away with Java. C++ would depend on which ide you want to use. More than anything it's probably going to come down to how big the projects you want to work on are and which chromebook you get.
_mark_
_mark_
Whilst technically ChromeOS can now do native languages I think (Native Client), it's unclear if you actually mean to be using this API? I'm not sure it's possible to write things that would be easily cross-platform with other platforms like Windows or Linux, nor am I sure if there are cross-compilers, or emulators for things like debugging/testing(?)

So yes, you can programming on Chrome, but the languages/APIs that ChromeOS runs is a lot more restricted than other platforms.
rockstar8577
rockstar8577
Ohh well Java I'm pretty sure would be cross-platform. C++ I would be compiling for windows. There's always the choice of installing linux on the chromebook as well. Would there be any better choices? I'm looking around the <=250 range
_mark_
_mark_
"Ohh well Java I'm pretty sure would be cross-platform."

Don't count on it smile.png A quick Google suggests that ChromeOS doesn't come with Java, though it may or may not be possible to get it working judging by discussions...

If you install Linux on it then you'll be able to do programming like any other laptop of course. The question then is, if Chromebook is cheaper or better specced than any other low end laptop. I guess if you want to run Linux, it's a way to get a laptop without a Windows licence, hence is cheaper. OTOH if you want to do Windows development, it'd be simpler with a Windows laptop anyway, but you'd probably have to pay a bit more.
rockstar8577
rockstar8577

"Ohh well Java I'm pretty sure would be cross-platform."

Don't count on it smile.png A quick Google suggests that ChromeOS doesn't come with Java, though it may or may not be possible to get it working judging by discussions...

If you install Linux on it then you'll be able to do programming like any other laptop of course. The question then is, if Chromebook is cheaper or better specced than any other low end laptop. I guess if you want to run Linux, it's a way to get a laptop without a Windows licence, hence is cheaper. OTOH if you want to do Windows development, it'd be simpler with a Windows laptop anyway, but you'd probably have to pay a bit more.


Ohh, I meant developing it was cross platform. Cause you technically don't need it installed. Since there's cloud compilers. But I'm not too sure how good they work especially with libraries.

Well couldn't I just use the normal gcc compiler on linux, if I install linux that is? I dont know too much about c++ compiling on linux but I believe it works this way
Liuqahs15
Liuqahs15

Well, you already know that a windows or linux laptop will definitely work, and there are plenty with the same specs at that price range. If you were thinking the chromebook pixel (and sweet god I hope you weren't), then there's always a macbook, which will definitely work and be cheaper. So I literally see no reason to even think about the chromebook in this case, unless you just had intellectual curiosity.

rockstar8577
rockstar8577

Well, you already know that a windows or linux laptop will definitely work, and there are plenty with the same specs at that price range. If you were thinking the chromebook pixel (and sweet god I hope you weren't), then there's always a macbook, which will definitely work and be cheaper. So I literally see no reason to even think about the chromebook in this case, unless you just had intellectual curiosity.


Well I haven't really found laptops at the 200 range besides refurbs, opened boxes, off-lease. And even then their specs aren't too much better than the Acer C7.
SlamDrag
SlamDrag

Chromebooks are good enough for browsing the web and playing flash games. But for programming you would need to install Linux. The HDD space on those things is pretty small (because it's solid state). So I am not sure how good it would be for programming. You can find some pretty cheap HP laptops that are decent.

rockstar8577
rockstar8577

Chromebooks are good enough for browsing the web and playing flash games. But for programming you would need to install Linux. The HDD space on those things is pretty small (because it's solid state). So I am not sure how good it would be for programming. You can find some pretty cheap HP laptops that are decent.


The acer C7 has a 320 GB HDD at 5400 RPMs but you can change it out I'm pretty sure.
minibutmany
minibutmany

It's not very fun to program on a computer that has a keyboard that can fail in the first few months.

The "y" key on my samsung chrome book requires some very hard presses to get a response.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.
iskatsu
iskatsu

If you can get rid off Chrome-OS, then its a very good option. Otherwise, your programming desires will be limited by in-browser IDEs, which is not a good option for complicated projects.

rockstar8577
rockstar8577

I would be able to get rid of Chrome-OS or dual boot it. The only thing that's particularly bad about the C7 is the batterly life.

_mark_
_mark_
There may well be cloud or cross-compilers for Windows, but you'd still want to test - generally writing for Windows is easier with a real Windows installation (as is the case with most OSs). (It's unclear what other computers you have - e.g., do you already have a Windows desktop, and you're after a cheap portable option? Or would this be your only computer? Etc.)

I think realistic options for low-cost portable programming include:

* Buy a Chromebook, install Linux on it.
* Find another cheap laptop with Linux on it, or no OS on it (i.e., the point being that without the Windows licence, it should be cheaper) - anyone have suggestions?
* Just get a Windows laptop anyway, even if it's slightly more.
* Find a netbook (whilst you still can) - the Windows models are cheaper (due to running "Windows Starter"), and there were Linux versions too. (Netbooks have Atom CPUs which are lower power than other x86, but I find still reasonable for programming, I don't know how the Chromebook CPUs compare; also some netbooks have really great battery life, and are ultra-portable.)

I think the first one sounds fine - but you really are better off with an OS like Windows or Linux for general purpose programming, not ChromeOS.
rockstar8577
rockstar8577
That's what I planned on doing for the most part, was buying a chromebook and putting linux on it for a dual boot.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.