Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Getting started with c++

Started by MINKZILLA Apr 9, 2013 at 2:13 AM 5 replies 1.6k views
Original Post
MINKZILLA
MINKZILLA

I had a dream... to make a game like everyone else. So I read around on the inter webz and found I had to learn a programming language, so I searched some more and decided on c++, after learning a little bit of c. Now I am pretty good at c++. I learned it from these videos http://thenewboston.org/list.php?cat=16 which I liked a lot. but Now that I have done that I want to start making a game.

something simple like pac man, or tetris or something. But where do I start? I know that c++ does not by itself support graphics so I downloaded SDL and got that all working and stuff. But I don't know where to go from here. If anyone could point me in the way of a tutorial, guide, or something on creating games that would be great!!

thanks!

MINKZILLA
MINKZILLA

Thank you for the responses, I will look into both! biggrin.png

Ludus
Ludus

Here's one website that really helped me get into SDL: http://www.sdltutorials.com/

The tutorials in the "game framework series" on that site will take you through the basics of using SDL, then how to make a simple game of Tic-Tac-Toe, and finally it will touch upon making the core elements of a 2D platformer (although many of the principles can be applied to other kinds of games)

Don't forget to read through the documentation that comes with SDL.

ultramailman
ultramailman

You can start by reading about game loops. The game loop is central to many video games. You can think of it as the heart (or heart beat) of a video game.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.