Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Side Scrolling Game Engine?

Started by ekay Apr 19, 2013 at 3:09 AM 2 replies 2.8k views
Original Post
ekay
ekay

I'm a programmer with over 6 year experience on web developing and 3 years experience of C++ and decided to develop a game. I know how libraries and frameworks can speed up the work after you passed the learning curve, so I want to grab a game engine, but don't know which!

My project is basicly a side scrolling 2D beat em up, kinda like golden axe and streets of rage, with some RPG elements. Is there a specific engine that could help me? Considering it is not a flat side scrolling (you could move up and down, like golden axe, but still with 2D graphics.

Help :)

PS: I wish it is multiplatform, would prefer something in C++ or Python

CJ_COIMBRA
CJ_COIMBRA

I've seen good 2D platform games made with Multimedia Fusion (example: http://www.indiedb.com/games/oniken) but I've never used it by myself. You could also go without an engine and use the SFML C++ library. Unity3D is also good because it will save you lots of time to deploy to several platforms, however you will need some workarounds/plugins for a true 2D game.

ekay
ekay

I already played with klik&play and RPG Maker around 10 years ago, I assume that Multimedia Fusion is something like that, I was wondering to get something more like a programming engine. Thanks for the tips :)

Bogdanas
Bogdanas

From top of my head:

  • Plain OpenGL
  • Plain DirectX (Windows Only)
  • DirectX ToolKit (Windows Only)
  • SFML
  • Allegro 5
  • SDL

I would recommend Allegro 5

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.