Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

GameDev doesn't URL-encode URLs with Unicode characters

Started by Cornstalks Apr 21, 2013 at 11:50 PM 1 replies 1.4k views
Original Post
Cornstalks
Cornstalks

After seeing this thread's interesting title, I decided to check the page source and see if the URL, where it was linked, was properly URL encoded. It was not. I checked both the this page and this page, and neither of them URL encoded it as:



http://www.gamedev.net/topic/642153-%E2%99%AAmarble%E3%83%BBtime%E2%98%85ost%E2%98%85release%E2%99%AA

Like they ought to have.

Just an FYI.

Sik_the_hedgehog
Sik_the_hedgehog

As far as I know, both methods are valid, it's just that encoding is preferred for security reasons (makes it harder to spoof another URL by using similar characters). Well, and maybe compatibility with some servers, but maybe browsers rewrite the URLs under the hood to work around that.

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.