Hi
I recently decide, with some friends, to make an online game. The questions I have may sound pretty basic to some of you but please don't sent me back to google. I have limited time and I was there the last 2 days. The bad thing with google is that you cannot converse with it. So here I am, looking someone to verify my understanding and cover some holes I have.( don't think like that you dirty people! )
When you rent some space on some server for some webpage, all you got is some space and nothing else and what you can do with that space is what you can do with the space of your PC. Save things, and possibly run some script with php to manipulate some database, which is also in that space, and/or cover some basic logic stuff. Now, I can imagine that for some very simple game I may cover my needs with php. I haven't heard this from anyone, I just figured it can be done. But, for a more complex game I may find php too weak, so I may need some real program. And then I will need to rent a whole PC?(or some "portion" of its CPU?? - you know what I mean portion ). Can I do anything I want with that PC?? And, I know there are some universally accepted architectures for servers, but with that thought, that is having in my dispossal a whole PC, I can build my server as I see fit and do whatever crazy stuff got in my head and actually work, right?? And I can use whatever language I want??
And, last, something more specific, for a game with money involved( you know, like poker or silly games on facebook) and in need for accuracy I will have to deal with 2 problems. First, I won't be able to be that accurate(I need accuracy below one second) and I will have to defend the players from cheaters.
Now, sorry for my english, I don't know exactly where the actual questions are, I just need you to say if I got all correct and where I have mistakes please correct me.
Thank you.