I have recently come up with an idea for a game. I am more of an instant gratification type of person, so I realize that it may be best to start making the game by myself in a basic form rather than applying for a game tester job and trying to work my way up the ranks, especially since this is more of a hobby at this point.
Anyway, my goal is to make a browser based text RPG with artwork from a friend implemented later on. I'd like it to be functional in most web browsers and smartphones. After doing a little research, I found that the Google Web Toolkit would be a great way of doing that. However, it seems to be using Java, and from what I understand, JavaScript is a language better suited for web design when it comes to a beginner like me. I have very basic knowledge of programming (HTML) and I have started going through the Java tutorial, but I am afraid it may end up being something that may be outside of my learning capabilities. Right now I have 3 day weekends and nothing better to do, so I have a good chunk of time available and I'd like to fill it as soon as possible.
So my question for those who may be experienced with one or both of these languages is: What would be a better option for what I intend to do?
Thank you