Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Blending Normal Maps

Started by Endemoniada May 11, 2013 at 3:31 AM 1 replies 2.1k views
Original Post
Endemoniada
Endemoniada

Hi guys,

I'd like to create my base normal map in a 3d program (3ds) by baking high poly to low, then add fine detail in either Photoshop or my own program. I did research and there doesn't seem to be a good method, they are either blended in Photoshop (bad) or in a shader; I think that's because the tutorials aren't written by programmers.

I was thinking I can convert the two normal maps to vectors then combine them with a weighted sum, renormalize and convert them back to a normal texture. Will that be correct ? Do I just add the vector components or do I only offset them with the binormal and tangent parts of the fine detail map. I'm not really sure how to do it.

Thanks.

deftware
deftware

In the days of Doom3's development, using Maya, they would model all the detail they needed into the hi-poly model, then created a plugin that would spit out a low-poly model, and a normal map to 'recapture' the detail that was lost in the polycount reduction when rendered on the low-poly model.

That was ten years ago.

[ deftware.org ]

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.