Hello, I'm currently developing a retro MMORPG sandbox survival game called Colonies. It's been under development for 8 months now and has been played by over 300 people in my alpha group. The fans of my game come from a hardcore niche who's sole purpose is to 1-up the other players in the game.
The problem
Botting, although minimal so far, could potentially be a problem. As a former bot programmer, I know all the tricks people use, and after fair assessments and trials, I've concluded that Colonies is extremely easy to bot due to repetitive tasks and gameplay. Stats are gained by grinding on rocks, fishing for hours, and harvesting crops, which are all tasks that are easy to automate.
The idea
I need ideas on how to stop this. Botting is impossible to stop, but changing the gameplay to be more skill-based is possible. That is my question to you. How do you make a game more based on rational human judgement than on something which can be automated?
Thanks!