Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Help with choosing a level editor

Started by HELLO23 Aug 10, 2013 at 7:55 AM 2 replies 1.6k views
Original Post
HELLO23
HELLO23

Hello !

I'm working with a small team on a 2D platformer game in Java (LibGDX) that uses Box2D for physics.

Our team is looking for a tool to make the levels (that we will be able to integrate with the Box2D physics, and the graphics).

We want a tool that is able to work with polygons (not with tiles), and that can be used from Linux (and preferably Open Source).

Any suggestions ?

(Of-course I can write a little level-editor specific to our game, and if this is the case please write, but I would like to avoid that if there is another way )

Thanks !

markr
markr

Probably the easiest way is to use a vector editor such as Inkscape, and convert the SVG into the format you want using some conversion tool (you might have to write this).

There are some mechanisms to put certain metadata on objects, which you will need in your game

HELLO23
HELLO23

We came across this option of using Blender.

We eventually chose to go with Tiled (http://www.mapeditor.org/) for now (it has polygons support, open-source, cross-platform).

edit : I will bring up the vector editor idea to the team. Thanks ! (I only saw the message after I wrote my message)

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.