Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Handling libraries

Started by Victor Oliveira Sep 10, 2013 at 1:02 PM 4 replies 2.7k views
Original Post
Victor Oliveira
Victor Oliveira

I'm almost fresh to the game development and I have one question about libraries. If I choose one library, such as SFMl, to develop the menu of my game, is it possible to merge with, for example, Direct X to handle the graphics(load maps and etc)? I don't know how to handle load maps or etc, sorry If I said something dumb, but thats subject for another topic, I really would like to start from the basics. Thanks for the help.

Serapth
Serapth

It ultimately comes down to the library and the way it is setup. In that particular case, no, as SFML is built over OpenGL. OpenGL and DirectX aren't compatible. Some libraries are a bit more self contained and easily slotted into your setup, so you can use a portion of the functionality provided. DirectX and OpenGL aren't such libraries.

Satharis
Satharis
It would kind of defeat the purpose of SFML to support multiple platforms if they used a graphics library that is designed to only work with Windows, so no.

If you -really- need DirectX you'll have to look elsewhere or go and pretty much mutilate SFML to get it working correctly with DirectX, but honestly it's worth being familiar with both DirectX and OpenGL anyway.
wintertime
wintertime

The question is a bit similar to this: "Hi, I have this fantastic motorbike, but now I saw that other motorbike, can I ride both at the same time?"

You could try but it will most likely not end well, better just choose one and maybe use the other later for something else.

JDGamedev
JDGamedev

Generally the larger frameworks won't work well with others. Like someone already said, OpenGL and DirectX won't work well together.

First, you'll want to choose a framework to start with, probably something OpenGL or DirectX based, like SFML and others. Once you know which of those you will use, you can find solutions to particular problems. For example, if you want a way to create a menu in a certain way, it would be better to search for a way to do it in your framework and possibly find some open source code out there that does what you need.

Better to stick with one and learn the ins and outs to get what you need done.

IndyOfComo
IndyOfComo

Here's another question along the same line:

How would someone know this going into things? What questions would they ask? What should they look at?

Here is my technical background info.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.