Hello!
I'm currently trying to make sure that my engine handles gamma in a correct way. The problem is the results that I'm getting contradict my understanding of how it should work (based on what I've read).
The test that I'm doing is from the shader use the screen uv to output a linear gradient from black to white.
I currently do no correction at all (my backbuffer format is not a srgb format, I don't set any gamma ramp, the shader doesn't do any correction). Based on my understanding this would result in the gradient that I see on my monitor being incorrect since I don't do any correction. However the result I see is a gradient that looks linear. When I try to apply correction the gradient ends up looking non-linear.
So basically when I don't do any correction at all I get what seems like correct results. According to the settings on my monitor it's using 2.2 gamma. I looked in NVIDIA control panel and the gamma override setting there is turned off as it should be. Interestingly if I enable it and change the gamma the image will change gamma for a bit less than a second and then it seems something else will override it and the image will look normal again even though the slider is still set to something different.
I've tried messing around with this (http://mynameismjp.wordpress.com/2010/04/30/a-closer-look-at-tone-mapping/) tonemapping sample. If I do the same thing and output a linear gradient from the shader in that sample I will get an incorrect output on the monitor because it uses an srgb backbuffer.
I'm just really confused right now as to what's going on so any help to sort it out would be great.
Thanks
