Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Ensure no dependency error with DirectX release

Started by dAND3h Sep 26, 2013 at 9:41 PM 1 replies 1.7k views
Original Post
dAND3h
dAND3h

Hi, I am probably being dense, but whenever I try to build my directX game in release mode, it stops with a linker error: LNK1181.

All my paths are the same as in debug mode and I have the latest DX SDK installed. This leads me to the question, how do I make sure if I release my game that all the outside dependencies are included if they are not directly in my project? I am guessing thats what you would do during the install, but for directX, mostly everyone has, I don't know.

So if I was to pass this projects release folder over to a friend, how do I make sure they can play the game without needing to install the SDK?

My first attempt was to copy paste the .lib files needed into the project, but i am not sure where to put them.

Thanks for reading

NightCreature83
NightCreature83

Have a look here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/y6b12xkc.aspx they mention that if you have a path that contains spaces in it and you didn't put quotes around it you might get this error as well.

You have to pass the redist for your DX sdk to your friend as well, you can find this in the directX sdk folder and it is ok to redistribute the release version of these files. You will most likely also want to do the same thing with the C++ runtime you have built against as well this is found in the MSVS directory and only the release version.

dAND3h
dAND3h

Thanks for the reply, so do I need to give my friend the entire redist folder? ...I still don't understand why it won't work for me though, I have everything installed and I just double checked the spelling in the release configuration.. Specifically, it is currently looking for the d3dx9.lib. I am also using the "additional Include Directories" within the C/C++ General option, should I perhaps be setting the include and lib directories from within the VC++ directories option?

EDIT: So I found out why it wouldn't work for me, I didn't add the library include to the release config....I have no idea why

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.