Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Gamemaker,RPGmaker, etc.

Started by felicia Sep 27, 2013 at 9:56 PM 10 replies 3.4k views
Original Post
felicia
felicia

I've got a small team of friends together and I have a working knowledge of how to develop a game. My question has to do with what programs would be good for our project. I've taken a look at Game maker and RPG maker but they both require you to purchase them in order to do anything significant. Does anyone know of a similar program that can be used for free to develop a 2-D isometric view game? It should be beginner friendly and fairly easy to use. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

felicia
felicia

I can do some basic programming like if statements, for loops, all the way up to arrays. The main reason I would be using a tool is for the graphics, sound, and the other things that would be more difficult to program.

DejaimeNeto
DejaimeNeto

I don't know any free game making tools for 2D isometric view, specially easy to use; as I assume easy to use means little to no coding.

Still, I can point you to Flare, a free open-source isometric RPG engine. Still, I must say that it may not fit your definition of easy-to-use.

Who knows if at least one person on your team is willing to learn how to use the Flare RPG engine? So i thought it was worth mentioning.

felicia
felicia

Thank you, that seems to be the exact type of program that I'm looking for, any similar suggestions would be appreciated.

Jos
Jos

I heard next version of Unity 3d will have 2D support! think about it.

TheChubu
TheChubu

There is that Engima Engine/SDK/something one of the users have been promoting. Supposedly is Game Maker compatible and free.

Edit: Yep, its Game Maker compatible, not RPG Maker compatible :D

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"   My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and 
Khatharr
Khatharr

There is that Engima Engine/SDK/something one of the users have been promoting. Supposedly is RPG Maker compatible and free.

What is this? I don't see it on google.

Edit - Never mind. I found it. Game Maker compatible, you mean.

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
k_meleon
k_meleon

Not really optimized for isometric view, but free and requires no coding, and can get the job done if used creatively: http://www.stencyl.com/

jbadams
jbadams




Not really optimized for isometric view, but free and requires no coding, and can get the job done if used creatively: http://www.stencyl.com/

Good option, but it's worth noting that the free version can only export Flash projects, you need one of the other (pretty reasonably priced) licences to publish to other platforms.

- Jason Astle-Adams
Shane C
Shane C
Use Scirra Construct 2, very good program that is similar to Game Maker. It might still cost you something, but not as much.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.