Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Kinda lost on where to start

Started by Kahroo Sep 29, 2013 at 7:34 PM 12 replies 4.5k views
Original Post
Kahroo
Kahroo

I love how I have this idea for a RPG game I want to make but I don’t know where to start. I don’t know a thing about programming and don’t know which language I want to learn…Well I kinda do…either C++ or C# I don’t know, which should I do?

Oh and other then that I have no story…kinda stuck with that. And I need some more characters, weapons, magick, and stuff. But that'ds slowly coming along as I think of stuff.

But hey recommend me some good programming books, and any advice would be great.

Haps
Haps

You could try something like RPG Maker to start with, it's beginner-friendly and will let you get a feel for how games are put together.

For C#, I found this to be a pretty good tutorial, and it covers game programming with XNA/Monogame in another section.

dragons
dragons

C languages are very hard for complete begginers, You must start with something easier, Python is great and very easy to start with. You will see your results much much faster than C++.

Keyeszx
Keyeszx

What makes C languages harder? I'm just curious. I was thinking of using C++ with SFML but then I keep hearing C languages are more difficult?

Kahroo
Kahroo

What makes C languages harder? I'm just curious. I was thinking of using C++ with SFML but then I keep hearing C languages are more difficult?

Yeah same I hear C languages are really hard for beginners, and everyone is like "don't learn it don't learn". But isn't it the most popular language to use when making a game?

legitninja
legitninja

I'm a beginner learning C# which is the "latest" installment in the C family of programming languages. Unlike C++ the C# language is very "high level" which means you do everything on the highest level without having to go into much detail with memory management and such. In fact C# almost resembles Java.

But, it is still Object Oriented Programming (OOP) so what you learn there can be translated to other object oriented programming languages (C++ included)

but, if you want to learn C++ go ahead but it will take significantly longer to get a grasp of it. which is why people suggest learning python, Java, or C# first because you will see results for your work etc.

I just started learning how to program about a week ago, so I have a long way to go. I did a simple text based choose your own adventure game in C#. I even had it so that you could enter a name for your character and enter a name for your spaceship which the game used from that point on. It was cool and I'm proud of myself.

But, all that I learned was with tutorials on youtube and they don't go too in-depth. So, today I went out to the book store and bought C# for dummies. I haven't started reading it yet but, hopefully it can explain things in more detail.

Lost between the semicolons. 
Kahroo
Kahroo

Yeah I think I may go with C#. And @Haps thanks for the tutorial I will look over it tonight.

Keyeszx
Keyeszx
but, if you want to learn C++ go ahead but it will take significantly longer to get a grasp of it. which is why people suggest learning python, Java, or C# first because you will see results for your work etc.

So when people say this are they saying it believing the person to have 0 programming experience? I've learned the basics for java and C++. I was always assuming when they said that C++ is harder to grasp that they meant game development wise. So between java or C++ it won't matter? I know one of the big things will be garbage collection which is manual in C++ but automatically done in java.

dragons
dragons

I dont know about Java.

C++ takes vast amount of learning even to build a small text based game. Usualy this is throwing people off of programming.

And don't think that if you take a language to learn, other the ones used for mainstream game development, you will waste time. Actualy, picking a low level language, learning ti well, and then head for C++, will be much faster to get and realize how things works. Rather than going stright for the very advanced C++.

Learning one language is everything, every second one you will learn the syntax pretty much.

Start with Python a scripting language that is very simple, then go with C++ after a year or so. This will make sure you have a scripting knowledge as a backup.

Osu Bengosu
Osu Bengosu

I say you should think about what you want to do. If you just want to make your RPG game you should use something like RPG Maker as Haps said or Unity3D. If you want to learn programming you should learn C++ :)

deftware
deftware

What about playing with an existing game engine, and learning to make mods, modifying the game logic through it's scripting language, playing with textures, models, etc.

I started programming in qbasic, as a kid, and got into making mods for Quake. The scripting language designed for it (QuakeC) was really how I first came into contact with anything resembling C, and it was only a while later that I started making my first rainbow triangles and texturing them using OpenGL and a C compiler.

[ deftware.org ]
Norman Barrows
Norman Barrows

you don't really need a story for a rpg. the player's actions create the story as they play, you just need to create a cool world to play in.

if i were you i'd work on the game design, and start with something like rpg maker or another basic 2d engine. then move up to a 3d engine once you're ready. and i'd check out a couple of different languages. c#, python, c++ etc. in the long run for hard core games you gotta go c++, there are no substitutes. but that's not until you're taking on EA head to head. until then you want to go with what you can learn fastest that runs fast enough. i started with basic, then switched to pascal, then C++ in the never ending quest for speed.

and incidentally, you can build a text based adventure game in c++ quite easily with just cout or printf.

PS love the skull and cross bones.

Norm Barrows Rockland Software Productions "Building PC games since 1989"</
DekuTree64
DekuTree64

I'd say make it in RPG Maker. Programming takes years to get good at, and RPGs can be particularly difficult. Plus having made stuff with RPG Maker 95 myself back in the day, it's quite valuable experience actually putting a game together. When you do learn programming later, you'll have a better idea of what you're trying to accomplish. Plus the content creation is more work than the programming in most RPGs, so if you do all the graphics and music yourself, it will still be a major undertaking and improve your skills in those areas a lot.

When it comes to programming RPGs, if you've played the very first Final Fantasy on NES, that's about as easy as it gets, and a reasonable first large scale project. If you want to do scripted cutscenes and a more fancy battle system like FF4 on SNES, then you're getting into much more difficult territory, and RPG Maker experience will be helpful.

Kahroo
Kahroo

Yeah I know how I want it to look. And I may give Unity3D a try But for right now I am learning to use Microsoft Visual C# 2010 Express and learning C#. I think I am aiming WAAAAY to high with this RPG ATM. I the battle system to kinda be like KH. You know run around and every so often enemies will appear to attack you. But yeah I will try RPGMaker. And do a 2D version first.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.