Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Learning modern OpenGL

Started by King of Men Nov 8, 2013 at 10:04 PM 2 replies 2.2k views
Original Post
King of Men
King of Men

So I've been using OpenGL for a while and I feel I've got a reasonable grasp of the basics: Primitives, transforms, textures. I can make a sprite in a modelling program and get it up on the screen. But this is all using the fixed pipeline and basic glBegin, glEnd calls; I'd like to move on to the modern features. Can anyone recommend a good tutorial for understanding vertex shaders and such? For that matter, just a list of what the advanced features are would be helpful, so I know what the holes in my knowledge are.

To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
TangentZ
TangentZ

Like you, I learned the old OpenGL 1.4 style API, and left it for a few years. Coming back to graphics programming now, I've found that OpenGL has changed quite a lot!

There is always the newest edition of the OpenGL Programming Guide (8th Edition!).

As for myself, I've found the OpenGL Intorduction (http://www.open.gl) tutorials quite useful for "catch up".

For shaders, you'd want to learn the GLSL, say the OpenGL Shading Language Cookbook.

Hope this helps!

神はサイコロを振らない!
King of Men
King of Men

Wups, I forgot about my own thread. Thanks for the pointers, gentlemen, I'll start looking at them this week.

To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.