Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

PC to browser

Started by TheOrestes Nov 9, 2013 at 1:57 AM 0 replies 1.1k views
Original Post
TheOrestes
TheOrestes

Hi Guys,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this topic, please let me know if otherwise, i tried putting this in Game Programming section, but no reply, so thought like posting it here.

I need some advice on porting front. We have pipeline set in such a way that content is being done on 3d studio max with DirectX 9 shaders. The file format we are working on is VRML format which supports direct DirectX shaders inside the mesh definition. Everything is smooth and fine till this point. However, we are trying to figure out cross platform strategy, where the 3d content will be rendered on the browser as well. Obviously, had it been started with Unity Engine, there was little to worry about ( correct me here ) Or if entire codebase was done keeping in mind this cross platform work in future, we would have faced less issues.

obviously, directx shaders won't run on browsers. I came across http://threejs.org/ & http://www.web3d.org/x3d/ as the closest thing which might do the trick for me. VRML mesh format is absolute requirement & these 2 things seems like supporting it. Also, for porting shaders from HLSL to GLSL, I am thinking of using https://github.com/aras-p/hlsl2glslfork .

To be honest, I have never worked on browser based technologies before, but am quite comfortable with C++ & DirectX. Hence, I wanted to ask folks around here if this is the sane approach for porting? Please let me know if there is anything else I should keep in mind. Please also point me to any other tools or codebase which handles rendering of VRML mesh formats on Web.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Cheers.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.