Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Making music via software?

Started by ngbeslhang Nov 22, 2013 at 2:34 PM 8 replies 3.2k views
Original Post
ngbeslhang
ngbeslhang
Before asking, I'm not a native English speaker, so I'm sorry if you didn't figured out what I'm saying.

Like 2 years ago, I started to play Minecraft and found that I loved the musics made my C418, so I always dreamt for making one without the real instrustment. (I remembered I saw he's using a software to make the music on a video but I'm not sure what is it, and did I spelled right?) And I did searched "music creation", "music creation software" or anything similar on Google and they're really expensive and hard to figure out hw to use them.

I tried a software that based on the noteblock sound in Minecraft and it's called "Minecraft Noteblock Studio". (http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/136749-minecraft-note-block-studio-200000-downloads/) The UI of it was easy to figure out and I don't think there's a music creation software that featured the piano keyboards and instrustment changer in case to create other sounds of a song.

Anyway, I wish you can recommend me a music creation software that the creator of the music having the entire copyright of his/her music, easy-to-use (to make sure I can put more effort to the other parts of a game, but that's optional) and finally, support multipile instrustment. (Or how can I make the effects of a game?)

OPTIONAL: I bought a book called "Introduction to Game Programming with C++" published by Wordware before, do you guys think it's a good book?
A C++ programming beginner from Malaysia.
Bacterius
Bacterius

Look into the MIDI format and related software. Yes, it may be old-school and everything, but it lets you easily create music by simple composition of notes of various instruments (with varying duration, pitch, volume, etc..) which is sometimes all that is needed, especially if you're starting out.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”
ngbeslhang
ngbeslhang

Look into the MIDI format and related software. Yes, it may be old-school and everything.

I didn't even thinked about it before and I think that MIDI was very hard.
Anyway thanks for advice. :)
EDIT: After watching this tutorial (http://www.ehow.com/how_5080124_create-midi-songs.html#page=8), I found that you can create songs via Audicity, but since I'm travelling and not around my computer for a few days, I'll try after going home.
A C++ programming beginner from Malaysia.
ngbeslhang
ngbeslhang

I have a super cheap midi keyboard that I use. It's not the best but when your budget is $0 you can't really afford anything nicer. I always have more luck playing the notes on a keyboard as opposed to adding them to a software program with a mouse.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/KeystationMini32.html


I am not sure if the country where I live (Malaysia) sells MIDI keyboard, but I prefer to use mouse and keyboard rather than it.
A C++ programming beginner from Malaysia.
ngbeslhang
ngbeslhang


I am not sure if the country where I live (Malaysia) sells MIDI keyboard, but I prefer to use mouse and keyboard rather than it.


You know you can search the web, right? http://www.lazada.com.my/alesis-q49-usbmidi-keyboard-controller-429293.html?recomReferer=pdv%2Fpdv_complementary
Well, I didn't like to online shopping thought.
EDIT: And that MIDI keyboard was expensive too. :/
A C++ programming beginner from Malaysia.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.