Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked 🤖 Godot

EPA Declares Wind Turbines Illegal

Started by RLS0812 Nov 25, 2013 at 3:52 PM 42 replies 9.3k views
Original Post
RLS0812
RLS0812

I find it ironic that that the Environmental Protection Agency has found that wind turbines are in violation of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act and the Endangered Species Act

It is kind of weird that the agency still touts wind farms as a good source of clean energy, while at the same time declaring them illegal.

From HERE

WASHINGTON — For the first time, the Obama administration is taking action against wind farms for killing eagles.

In a settlement announced Friday, Duke Energy will pay $1 million for killing 14 golden eagles over the past three years at two Wyoming wind farms.

The company says it pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.

The case is a first to be prosecuted under that law for a wind company by the Obama administration, which has been a champion for pollution-free wind power.

Eagles act like texting drivers when they search for prey and slam into massive turbines. A study by federal biologists this year found that wind energy facilities in 10 states had killed at least 67 golden and bald eagles since 2008.

Interesting fact - in order for the US to produce all it's electricity needs using Wind Power, they will have to cover over 25% of the land mass with over 27,000,000 wind turbines.

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
frob
frob

67 eagles is nothing.

... Well, it is something, but it is a low number.

Bats have a hard time with the sound. There were an estimated 600,000 - 900,000 bat deaths from wind farms last year in the US alone.

tharealjohn
tharealjohn




Eagles act like texting drivers when they search for prey and slam into massive turbines.

If an eagle slammed into a building or mountain or pole, would those be illegal too? Also, in the case of a texting driver that slams into another person, do we sue that person for standing in the way?

Our priorities are strange.

jmillerdev.com Follow me @jmillerdev
swiftcoder
swiftcoder




If an eagle slammed into a building or mountain or pole, would those be illegal too?

Last I checked, buildings don't have sharp edges and spin rapidly.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]
Luckless
Luckless

If an eagle slammed into a building or mountain or pole, would those be illegal too?

Last I checked, buildings don't have sharp edges and spin rapidly.

And when birds manage to slam into them and fall to their deaths anyway? More birds are killed flying into skyscrapers than wind farms every year from the last I heard from friends who were bio majors.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Prinz Eugn
Prinz Eugn

Much better link: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/11/22/wind-energy-company-pleads-guilty-to-eagle-deaths/3681687/

The company is being fined because the government proved that the company ignored the danger to wildlife when they sited the turbines, not that all turbines everywhere in the US are illegal. Seriously, reading comprehension + two seconds of Googling = less rage.

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal
tharealjohn
tharealjohn

+ 1 for the link to actual knowledge.

Thanks!

jmillerdev.com Follow me @jmillerdev
swiftcoder
swiftcoder




The company is being fined because the government proved that the company ignored the danger to wildlife when they sited the turbines, not that all turbines everywhere in the US are illegal.

That's not terribly clear to me from the link you provided. Yes, it states that the Duke Energy knew there were likely to be avian casualties, but it doesn't say that was specific to the site.

Any wind turbine of the 'spinning blades of death' variety is likely to result in avian casualties, no matter where it is situated. Perhaps the proximity to endangered species habitat is at issue, but again, the article doesn't actually say that.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]
Prinz Eugn
Prinz Eugn

The company is being fined because the government proved that the company ignored the danger to wildlife when they sited the turbines, not that all turbines everywhere in the US are illegal.

That's not terribly clear to me from the link you provided. Yes, it states that the Duke Energy knew there were likely to be avian casualties, but it doesn't say that was specific to the site.

Any wind turbine of the 'spinning blades of death' variety is likely to result in avian casualties, no matter where it is situated. Perhaps the proximity to endangered species habitat is at issue, but again, the article doesn't actually say that.

From the AP article I linked:

"In this plea agreement, Duke Energy Renewables acknowledges that it constructed these wind projects in a manner it knew beforehand would likely result in avian deaths," Robert G. Dreher, acting assistant attorney general for the Justice Department's Environment and Natural Resources Division, said in a statement Friday.

The Endangered Species Act apparently has nothing to do with this case. EDIT: It doesn't seem the EPA is involved either!

The gist of the case as I understand it is that companies will have to do more to prevent bird mortality by both taking better preventative measures on existing turbines and avoiding constructing turbines in high-risk areas or face very expensive government action:

While the settlement with Duke is a first, there could be more enforcement. The Fish and Wildlife Service is investigating 18 bird-death cases involving wind-power facilities, and about a half dozen have been referred to the Justice Department.

Regardless of my interpretation, the initial post is flat-out inaccurate in addition to being sensationalistic. As for new types of turbine, they're probably a good idea.

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal
Paradigm Shifter
Paradigm Shifter

Why aren't cat owners subject to the same laws? Cats are much better at killing birds than windmills.

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley
Paradigm Shifter
Paradigm Shifter

You cropped that picture, there's an enormous turbine the eagle is about to fly into just to the right.

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley
Prinz Eugn
Prinz Eugn

You cropped that picture, there's an enormous turbine the eagle is about to fly into just to the right.

And that, kids, is the circle of life.

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal
Vilem Otte
Vilem Otte

And when birds manage to slam into them and fall to their deaths anyway? More birds are killed flying into skyscrapers than wind farms every year from the last I heard from friends who were bio majors.

I second this by just adding that one of the worst bird killers are large glass windows (or scyscrapers out of glass) - these are definitely a problem. Although I'd second that birds don't really hit just brick wall often, but more likely a window - as it reflects sorroundings and the animal thinks it can fly through that way.

The possible solution is using "bird predator imposters" (I'm not sure whether I translated it correctly from my language) - image http://www.harmony-shop.cz/fotky4924/fotos/_vyr_155nalepka-od-krchove-420.jpg - these imposters really work especially for smaller birds and on classical houses decrease the number of birds that hit the windows. Note that on houses, you most likely have small windows and larger bird predators don't even try to fly through them. The problem is with large glass areas.

I'd also second the problem with wind power plant farms and bats (or generally a lot of animals that fly in the night). They use echolocation (bio sonars) which are disturbed by the noise of wind power plants (and it is even worse for farms of wind power plants)... but they are same much disturbed by light caused by city lights (they basically harm the day/night cycle and year cycle for huge amount of insect species, and not just insects).

I don't want to sound like a fully green guy here (I'm definitely not, even though I at least try a bit ... I've even proposed a local law to turn off lights between 12am and 6am, last party declined, I wonder whether I should try again), but as long as money will be more important than anything (and most importantly science and progress), there is no way out of it (and current political scene in whole world just wants to keep status quo (and when some politic says he doesn't, he is lying, nuff said ... got a ton of experience in this area) - which is bad for both, people and environment).

#Servant of the Lord - You don't realize the size of cats and kittens, you mixed images taken from different distance, as this correctly represents how my (and generally all) cat looks in terms of size:

2nlbipx.jpg

Some are even larger and able to destroy planet whenever they want. ph34r.png

AndyPandyV2
AndyPandyV2

The giant spinning blades are really loud, when I hiked through SoCal on the PCT they were everywhere and sounded like trains. I can only imagine how disruptive to wildlife they must be..

boolean
boolean

Can't they just, I don't know, put a cage around it?

LennyLen
LennyLen

Can't they just, I don't know, put a cage around it?

I would imagine that if the put a cage around it that was dense enough to keep birds out, it would dramatically reduce the strength of the wind.

swiftcoder
swiftcoder




I would imagine that if the put a cage around it that was dense enough to keep birds out, it would dramatically reduce the strength of the wind.

It also drastically increases the cost of manufacturing and installing the turbine.

As with solar panels, many turbines only barely break even over their lifetime, so you really can't absorb that extra cost upfront.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.