Hi there,
I'm looking to learn the correct terminology for what I can best describe as 'texture streaming' to aid me in my Googling. It's the problem of memory constraint, when you need to load a texture dynamically because the camera has moved from a city to a forest and you need a whole stash of new textures.
The texturing system I currently use in my engine ( which I am writing for educational purposes as well as a hobby ) is based on a texture array. I use each layer as an atlas except in the case of textures that need to be repeated, where I resize the textures to the maximum resolution and fit them into their own layers.
The problem with this is that I do not know if I even *can* 'stream' new textures into the same texture array, or any algorithms to do so in a timely fashion, hence I need to know what this is called. Any papers/tutorials/etc on the subject are appreciated as well.
Thanks for your time,
Daniel Kruyt