Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Mathematics for 3D programming - Exercises

Started by Getov Jan 22, 2014 at 10:03 AM 3 replies 2.6k views
Original Post
Getov
Getov

Hello,

I am looking for book or other kind of source, that has exercises related to 3D programming math - linear algebra, transformations, rotations, vector operations, coordinate systems, distance between planes, projections ... etc.

I just want to sharpen my skills and find out where my weak points are, because reading only theory without practicing it is not really useful.

Lactose
Lactose

Some of these topics are covered on Khan Academy, where there's both video lectures and online exercises.

https://www.khanacademy.org/

Khan Academy is free.

Hello to all my stalkers.
Getov
Getov

I've started watching the linear algebra videos some time ago and they are really nice. But it seems short on exercises (or not deep enough)

apatriarca
apatriarca

Making a simple 3D game/tech demo or a ray tracer or .. is IMHO probably one of the best way to exercise those math skills.

studentTeacher
studentTeacher

What you need to do is find a book on Mathematics in 3D graphics/3D games. Most of these books have example projects, exercises, etc. and depending on your taste in authors, you choose the one that teaches you the best. I myself learned a lot of this through trial and error; I'll read a little theory, then get to pen/paper/computer and play around with it.

And now that I remember this, I'll bring it up: I also looked into the book "3D Math Primer" by Fletcher Dunn and Ian Parberry when I was first learning the math.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.