Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

So, what have I missed?

Started by Cornstalks Apr 26, 2014 at 9:17 PM 18 replies 2.5k views
Original Post
Cornstalks
Cornstalks

I'm back from my hiatus. It's been months since I was active here, which I kinda feel bad about because I was supposed to help a lot with the new Indie Resources thing (I'm not sure what' it's status is).

For me, I'm just about to finish my undergraduate degree within the next week. I'm dating someone. I moved out of my parents' place into SLC. I'm working for IBM (Aspera) now. Besides those bigger things, the smaller things are mostly the same.

Have I missed anything here in GDnet land?

SeraphLance
SeraphLance

There's a gas shortage and a flock of seagulls. That's about it.

slicer4ever
slicer4ever

you missed the war of the crossbones, where we the blue did battle with the red, it was glorious. many died, but by the end....we gained NOTHING!

seriously, it's the same same around these parts.

Kryzon
Kryzon
Who are you?
fastcall22
fastcall22
Oh. Man. Did you miss out!

Recent gamedev.net headlines, according to fastcall:
Phil67rpg ragequits!
In his most recent thread, Phil67rpg was called out on his inability to search the most basic of programming topics. Following the accusation, the phil announced his departure from gamedev.net. "It's a shame," said one anonymous member, "nobody will be able whore easy reputation off him anymore."
Gamedev.net headlines attempted to reach Phil67rpg for comment, but was offline as of 2014-04-26 23:30 +00:00.

Licenses required for full GPU processing!
An author of a recently published 2d software-rendering library in C++ claims his library is slow because licensing from nvidia is required to unlock the full potential of the GPU. A quick investigation of the library exposed his code to be a piece of junk.

The controller of the future!
Two mechanical wiimotes strapped to the thighs and waist the next big thing in console controllers. The inventor claims that it'll be a guaranteed success because Jesus revealed it to him twenty years ago in a dream. "Since nobody in that time has invented anything quite as amazing, it must mean that [the controller's] success is guaranteed!"


Man, I wish that joestick thread was still around; that thing was a piece of work.

EDIT:
Links
Cornstalks
Cornstalks

Recent gamedev.net headlines, according to fastcall:
Phil67rpg ragequits!
...


Deja vu. I wonder if this time he'll stay gone...

Licenses required for full GPU processing!
...

The controller of the future!
...

Man, I wish that joestick thread was still around; that thing was a piece of work.


Dang it, you got me curious enough to google things. Fortunately, there's still a cached page of the joestick that I found to be... life changing. I couldn't find the GPU thread...
TheChubu
TheChubu

Who are you?

Yeah dud. Who am I?

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"   My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and 
fastcall22
fastcall22

I couldn't find the GPU thread...


Guess I wasn't specific enough... tongue.png
I've edited my last post to include links.


Maybe it's all the same guy; Phil, the korean, and joestick... Maybe that's why gamedev's been so quiet; phil was such the successful troll that there wasn't any need for such extravagant trolls...
cr88192
cr88192

my case:

due to running low on compelling ideas for my game project (anything worthwhile to do or implement recently), and basically running out of worthwhile stuff to do with my video codec stuff (it basically achieves its initial goals), recently (due to feeling like doing so) went and wrote a software rasterizer exporting the OpenGL API (a 1.3 subset).

still can't pull off non-crap framerates at higher resolutions (ex: 1440x900) with everything enabled when running Quake 3 Arena on it (generally goes a lot faster with Quake 2 though, and is basically playable with Q3A at 1024x768 and/or with some rendering features disabled).

tried an idea which could theoretically make it somewhat faster, but it killed image quality (made it look about like Doom 2 smeared with excrement).

like, seemingly, even the ninja-fast speeds of modern CPUs aren't really enough to easily run Q3A at higher-resolutions while using software rendering (benchmarks from people with faster CPUs running other SW rasterizers seem to imply that this may be a general problem, vs just my lazy mostly-plain-C rasterizer being slow...).

running Doom 3 in a SW renderer looks like it would be almost impossible...

otherwise, my life now is almost exactly the same as it was 10 years ago.

not sure of much going on in the forums though...

ADD: ... those threads... LOLZ...

warhound
warhound

You missed the Great Forum Flame War 5.......is it 5? I've lost track at this point...lol

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Truerror
Truerror

Oh. Man. Did you miss out!

Recent gamedev.net headlines, according to fastcall:
Phil67rpg ragequits!
In his most recent thread, Phil67rpg was called out on his inability to search the most basic of programming topics. Following the accusation, the phil announced his departure from gamedev.net. "It's a shame," said one anonymous member, "nobody will be able whore easy reputation off him anymore."
Gamedev.net headlines attempted to reach Phil67rpg for comment, but was offline as of 2014-04-26 23:30 +00:00.

Interesting. I checked his profile, and at the time of this reply, it says that he was last active yesterday.

Btw, how do you "whore off easy reputation" off someone anyway? Any good beginner-friendly turtorials on that? laugh.png

BHXSpecter
BHXSpecter

Btw, how do you "whore off easy reputation" off someone anyway? Any good beginner-friendly turtorials on that?

I'm guessing he means that being honest/blunt with him gets you a lot of upvotes or that answering his questions makes him upvote your reply. Only two ways I can think of unless they mean something else. Though, I hate hand holding so I seldom answer.

jbadams
jbadams

Welcome back, and congratulations on the degree, new living arrangements, relationship and job -- sounds like you've been very busy! :)




I was supposed to help a lot with the new Indie Resources thing (I'm not sure what' it's status is).

No need to feel bad, we all have real life commitments that have to take precedence; especially when you're just a community member volunteering some of your valuable free time! Indie Resources (and the whole Indie Corner) is still under development, but has mostly been on hold while Mike dealt with some real life of his own -- he's planning to make a new push on finishing up some of the remaining features though! :)

- Jason Astle-Adams
Aardvajk
Aardvajk

Welcome back, and thanks Fastcall for that round-up. I'm loving the Joe-Stick, especially the WordArt.

Alpha_ProgDes
Alpha_ProgDes

Hello fellow Resource Manager. Welcome back! Glad to hear your adventure in the real world was so successful. Hopefully, you'll be able to relax and soak in the greatness which is the Internet.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.  
Bregma
Bregma

Also, you missed the thread in which we finally resolved what the best language for programming games was, and what the replacement is for dying C++.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer
Alpha_ProgDes
Alpha_ProgDes

Also, you missed the thread in which we finally resolved what the best language for programming games was, and what the replacement is for dying C++.

I missed that too!

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.  
cr88192
cr88192

Also, you missed the thread in which we finally resolved what the best language for programming games was, and what the replacement is for dying C++.

Google Dart?...

(meanwhile, off reviving an old C compiler of mine, but reworking most of the backend. will target a register-based bytecode, which may then be JIT-compiled into machine-code or similar, or maybe also JS via "asm.js" or similar).

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.