Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Browser Game, mmo medieval simulation

Started by anttoo May 4, 2014 at 10:46 PM 1 replies 2.4k views
Original Post
anttoo
anttoo

Hi Guys,

I'm currently working on a small project, and I think it's worth getting a bit of criticism/feedback/suggestions.

Europa Lords is a text based persistant browser mmo... of europe around the 1400's, that's simulated.

A mouthful, at any rate.

[attachment=21322:screen2.png]

[attachment=21323:screen3.png]

[attachment=21324:screen-shot.jpg]

[attachment=21325:scren1.png]

The game is built on websockets and Javascript, so all centered on a single client page (no hyperlinks.) No waiting for those pesky HTTP headers to download...

Every 10 seconds the players game "ticks" and a new day is simulated.

The players cities are simulated, so each citizen does stuff, this depends on the buildings available, orders that have been set, and then what profession they have been assigned.

Players also have armies, which are essentially "moving" cities. They can attack other peoples armies, and the person with the largest army in a province can claim to be the "duke".

The players can form together to become "kingdoms", at which point they get there own private chat/page/forum, to conduct kingdom business.

Currently europe is split into 400 provinces, and I'm not sure if that's too many, or not enough.

How successful/fun could this game be do you think? When players log off there cities/armies are available for battle/being ransacked. And the main thing slowing down peoples attacks is a stamina counter that's proportional to army size...

A massive army of ~300/400 soldiers, takes well over an hour to regain enough stamina to attack again.

Do you think that a game this "hardcore", without traditional mob wars style compulsive clicking be fun? Would you play it?

I'd love some feedback/suggestions/advice,

I'm hoping to get an alpha release up in mid-may, so we will see then for certain I suppose!

-Ant

anttoo
anttoo

You can see on the army picture, that I had a bug where those pesky soldiers just wouldn't die!

Also, as an aside,

My plan for monetizing the game is to sell "indulgences", these give you a 2X boost to the simulation speed, and would effectively be a subscription for 30 days.

And tradeable, much like EVE online's PLEX.

powerneg
powerneg

Am i correct to assume the player plays some kind of god-game where he gives orders to his armies and citizens ?




How successful/fun could this game be do you think? When players log off there cities/armies are available for battle/being ransacked. And the main thing slowing down peoples attacks is a stamina counter that's proportional to army size...

Most (browser)games have some kind of protection that doesn't allow a unit/location/... to be attacked if it is attacked in the last X time.

In a strategy-game this could be expanded, areas that are conquered turn into chaos/mud/... and armies can't attack the neighboring areas from it.

(I 'm throwing out a very simple idea, it 'd be better for a strategy game if it was realy complex, like siege-machines need roads to move over or something)




Do you think that a game this "hardcore", without traditional mob wars style compulsive clicking be fun? Would you play it?

I don't realy see this as hardcore for the player.

The designer will need to make the game balanced though,

and without mobs the players are going to run out of opponents(each other) and one player or one kingdom will rule the server.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.