I've been working primarily in 2D games for the last few years off and on, and have decided I'd like to take a crack at doing 3D development. My problem is that I have several questions and I'm not sure where to start looking for answers.
For example, I am pretty sure that in 3D development you have a scene that uses a scene graph to store all the objects in the "world." This is where all your models would be stored.
Now when I go to build/import models into that world and store them, what do I need to have in my model? I am under the impression that this is a model that is built in blender or some similar application. Do I need to have the modeler add animations, rigging, etc? In other words, what do I need to know in order to speak intelligently with a 3D modeler to request game assets? Also if my scene is a town, do I need to make the town one big model or can I break it up into smaller models?
These are a few of the questions that I have and would like to find a good resource where I can do some self study.