Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

The "Drawings -Figures" section in a patent

Started by Eliad Moshe Jun 3, 2014 at 8:06 AM 3 replies 2.1k views
Original Post
Eliad Moshe
Eliad Moshe

"Figs 1A to 1D show various aspects of a closure supplied with...with paper in accordance with one embodiment"

"Fig 2 shows a ...on one side only in accordance with another embodiment"

"Fig 3 shows a ...in accordance with another embodiment"

Why not to be more specific regarding which particular embodiment the figure relates to?

How to use this phrase correctly?

swiftcoder
swiftcoder

Patents are generally written to be as broad as possible, and if you tie it to a single embodiment... that would defeat the purpose.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]
Eliad Moshe
Eliad Moshe

So how should I describe legally, two different figures that relate to the same embodiment?
It seems to me and I might be wrong that if I use "in accordance with another embodiment" for both, it states that the two figures do not relate to the same embodiment.




Eliad Moshe
Eliad Moshe

I think that I found what I need, something like this:

FIG. 1 is an exploded front perspective view of one embodiment of the present
invention.

FIG. 2 is a partial rear perspective view of the head portion of the embodiment of
FIG. 1, showing the battery compartment and battery.

smile.png

bschmidt1962
bschmidt1962
So how should I describe legally, two different figures that relate to the same embodiment?

Are you trying to self-file a patent? I strongly recommend having a patent lawyer answer these specific questions.

it's a lot of effort and expense to file, and 'wording' isn't the place to try to save $$'s... :)..

Brian Schmidt Executive Director, GameSoundCon: GameSoundCon 2016:September  27-28, Los Angeles, CA     Founder, Brian Schmidt Studios, LLC Music Composition & Sound Design<

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.