Hi Greetings,
I'm not sure whether I post this question on correct forum, if not, please forgive me.
I'm a newbie on graphics or modeling domain, now I'm doing some research on embossing any mesh based surface with Text, like the picture shown: (Which is created by Windows 8.1 APP: 3D Builder )

So the requirement is to implement similar 3D text on a model surface in an application that is developed by Javascript/WebGL. What we have are the triangle based surface, and the 2D text contours. The surface might be a cylindrical or sphere or torus surface.
Since I'm new to both solid modeling and 3D graphics programming, even I have spent several days on this, however, I couldn't find a good algorithm or solution yet. So, I'm posting the question to the great community, I wonder whether someone has the experience to solve similar problem ever, or someone would kindly offer some useful hints, such as any related papers, or related algorithms, or other forums which I post to, etc. Thanks very much.
(Actually, I've post my questions on stackoverflow, however, no any replies yet. Maybe my question is not properly described or implementing such a 3D text requirement is too difficult.)