Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Mixed resolution rendering nearest depth filter

Started by StanIAm Sep 19, 2014 at 1:33 PM 0 replies 2.7k views
Original Post
StanIAm
StanIAm

Hey guys Iam trying to combine a lowres indirect illumination texture of 256x256 pixels with a 1024x1024 highres texture. I saw this article here : http://developer.download.nvidia.com/presentations/2010/futuregameon/LouisBavoil_ModernRealTimeRenderingTechniques.pdf

On page 20, a technique from a game is described to combine the lowres particels of the game with the fullres rendering. Well I implemented it the same way, but I don't get a realy good result. I use 4 samples which are defined like this : float2( tex.x - lowres_texel,tex.y ) , float2( tex.x + lowres_texel, tex.y) , float2( tex.x, tex.y + lowres_texel) , float2( tex.x, tex.y - lowres_texel), where tex is the texcoord of the current highres pixel and lowres_texel = 1/256.

Then I going through a for loop and combine the new depthdistance to the highresdepth with the previouse ones and save the index of the sample, which has the nearest depth of all. After that I look if the sample is in the range from 0-3( that would be the 2x2 samples, and when -1 is sampled only with the standart texcoord tex) and output the color from this sample.

How could I improve it ?? Because in the paper it works realy good

Thanks

StanIAm
StanIAm

I got it work, but it still have some artifacts which looks not realy good. Look at the picture: pauqa3vy.jpg

Now Iam using a 3x3 depth depth kernel but on some detailed geometry I still have artifacts. Has somebody an idea how to improve that ??

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.