Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Thinking of a game idea.

Started by Scouting Ninja Dec 11, 2014 at 4:54 AM 2 replies 2.2k views
Original Post
Scouting Ninja
Scouting Ninja

I have made several games and now I feel like it's time to try a MMO, well maybe not yet.

I intent to make a browser game with a few MMO elements, to ease myself in.

The game: Organised crime.

Organised crime, is a game where the player can be the boss of there own criminal empire, a detective or something of both.

The game takes place in a world where organised crime has become such a large problem, that in a effort to bring down the crime rate, police are forced to do what ever it takes.

The game will play in three parts:

World map : Here players focus there efforts and resources.

This will be kind of like a RTS game, except resource gathering and recruiting is done in the other two parts of the game.

Battles: This is where things get settled, when you decide to take over or defend a place.

Battles will be fought with three-four characters controlled by players or Ai, at real time. // I have been informed that in a MMO turn-based is better

// so I will probably do something like Dragon age.

Social battles: When a player faces a event, gets caught or investigates a crime scene it will happen in the form of a card battle.

originally I wanted players to really investigate and communicate with each other, unfortunately the art of lie detecting is to obscure.

There is also the problem that if a player isn't fully emerged into the game, it won't feel like thy really need to lie.

I will still make the card battles use things like mannerisms, like "Tell a Lie." blocks any question but will cause the avatar to show a quirk and inform the other player of the lie.

Would you play a game like this and what do you think of this idea?

GalvonicBond
GalvonicBond

What games have you made in the past, and have you ever had to handle networking that's actually applicable to multiplayer games?

kseh
kseh

Detective vs Criminal card battles sounds like it could be a pretty interesting mechanic to center a game around. I don't know whether I'd play the game or not (hard to tell without a finished product) but if the card battle aspect was prominent in your game description I'd probably be curious enough to stop looking through lists of games to at least check it out.

Scouting Ninja
Scouting Ninja




What games have you made in the past, and have you ever had to handle networking that's actually applicable to multiplayer games?

I have made some 3D rpg's, car games and the full list of recommended 2D games to get into gaming.

I am confident that I can make the game.

The networking is completely new to me and I know that I won't be able to do it by myself, luckily I have someone who will advice me on most of the work.




but if the card battle aspect was prominent in your game description I'd probably be curious enough to stop looking through lists of games to at least check it out.

The game has now enter the paper testing stage, the card battle is receiving the most attention as it is the easiest.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.