All is going very well for the moment and I've reached the stage where I want to add two new sound elements to the game.
The first is radio chatter - the idea is not to reproduce the full chatter but more a brief phrase that will draw the player's attention to a longer message displayed on the screen (for example phrases such as 'under attack' or 'hostile ships detected'). What I'd like to do is take voice recordings of these basic phrases and rework them to give the impression they are being transmitted by radio (so potentially clipping of the sound and addition of static, etc)
Secondly I want to add a ship's computer voice for phrases such as 'shields down', 'engines activated', etc. Here again I would like to distort a normal voice recording to add a more 'metallic' sound while avoiding it sounding like a speech synth voice.
Could anyone give advice on a good way of achieving one or other of these, ideally with a tool that will not cost a fortune (this is an indie hobby project with very limited budget ... time but no money!)? For info I have been using Audacity for other sound effect editing, but am willing to consider other options.
Many thanks.