Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Current Survey

Started by LennyLen Dec 29, 2014 at 2:30 PM 23 replies 7.5k views
Original Post
LennyLen
LennyLen

Did the authors of the current survey specify that they were looking for responses from people within a certain demographic? After being asked my age, gender and field of employment, I was returned to the GDNet site, so I assume I'm not withon their target demographic.

Michael Tanczos
Michael Tanczos

That may be the case. There is a certain demographic they are looking for. I thought it would be easier to tell who was doing the survey but it seems to have eliminated that bias. You can tell though that it is targeted towards a particular platform.

kseh
kseh

Same here. Hopefully attempting to participate still benefited the site. Since I'm not in their target demographic, should I assume that I'm not in this draw?

Michael Tanczos
Michael Tanczos

Yeah unfortunately the only info we'll get back are those who submitted their email address with the survey. Maybe we'll have an extra drawing for those who at least attempted it. I'll speak with the other staff.

Chad Smith
Chad Smith

Yea, I was actually kind of disappointed and confused when I put down my current field of employment, and it just redirected me back to the site. Almost feel like something about that should had been mentioned or something.

But oh well. Hope they get what they want with the survey.

slicer4ever
slicer4ever
Same, i know we have a number of industry folk here, but alot of people are also hobbists. I hope the survey still pays out even if were not in the targeted demo.
Luckless
Luckless

Seems odd that they would just drop people that early into an online survey. Would have been easy enough to collect all the data from everyone and then cull after the fact, and I was wondering if it was broken or not.

I really hope that the person writing the report from this data doesn't get asked additional questions against a wider demographic, as I can imagine that awkward feeling one would get after realizing they dumped data they could have found useful later. (Three cheers for data-mining!)

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
jbadams
jbadams

Agreed -- they could have made it a little more user friendly as well, by showing messages rather than just redirecting back to our site. Unfortunately we have no control over the survey itself, but thanks again to everyone who has tried (whether successful or not) to participate! :)

- Jason Astle-Adams
ronan.thibaudau
ronan.thibaudau

They should also have stated that, for example i answer other because none of the categories were "exactly" what i did, but some were close. Also they should've done 2 things differently

1) Warn about it (it feels like a bug when it happens)

2) Do the filter before you give your email. Personally i don't care at all about a 25$ voucher, but i thought "fine i'll go into the Survey, the private information picked my interest, Worth giving out my email". In the end i gave them my email and i got nothing so, silly as it may sound, i feel "scammed" into taking the Survey and not getting what was advertised.

Michael Tanczos
Michael Tanczos

Agreed. The sad thing is that we are the only people who use your email. They called it a "sweepstakes" without attributing it to us in any way or describing the privacy policy. We just need a place to send the Amazon gift card if you win.

Icebone1000
Icebone1000

I was able to take the survey yesterday, but I gave up half way trough. Today I cant take it anymore, it redirects me to the home page.

LennyLen
LennyLen

I'm assuming the email I got an hour or so ago asking me to take the survey was an automated message?

samoth
samoth

Got silently redirected back to GD as well.

Michael Tanczos
Michael Tanczos

No I wrote that to go out to all current members. It's my last ditch attempt to get across the finish line. We're about 60% of the way there right now.

Sik_the_hedgehog
Sik_the_hedgehog

Saw the e-mail, filled the survey (I wasn't as active these days as the e-mail made it sound like... mostly out of laziness though). Also huh weird reading this thread, I definitely managed to go through the whole survey since it was quite long for me ????? It definitely takes into account what were your previous answers though, judging by the questions (it even explicitly states so in some cases).

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.
LennyLen
LennyLen

Saw the e-mail, filled the survey (I wasn't as active these days as the e-mail made it sound like... mostly out of laziness though). Also huh weird reading this thread, I definitely managed to go through the whole survey since it was quite long for me ????? It definitely takes into account what were your previous answers though, judging by the questions (it even explicitly states so in some cases).

Out of curiosity, what is your profession?

AoS
AoS

Yeah, I got the email and the same drop out response. I assume you have to say that you work in video games to go on to the further part. As a hobbyist I assumed I should not click video games since it seemed like the things it listed were industries. My gender and age definitely fall into the ideal video gaming demographic.

Ekt
Ekt

just tried after Michael's call to arms. just a note:

make the "don't click unless ready/click-fraud" thing more visible. like bold and red. I had to switch to another computer since I inadvertently closed the survey early.

I couldn't finish it tough. They don't care about mobile nor PC I guess.

Ekt
SymLinked
SymLinked

Yeah, I got the email and the same drop out response. I assume you have to say that you work in video games to go on to the further part. As a hobbyist I assumed I should not click video games since it seemed like the things it listed were industries. My gender and age definitely fall into the ideal video gaming demographic.

It doesn't matter, unfortunatly. But they asked us not to discuss the details so I'll respect that.

I'm a little bit disappointed too. I never give out my email address and now I did and got nothing in return. Hopefully it's only available to the GDNet staff.

Meatsack
Meatsack

My email time stamp says it is 18 hours old.

I just tried to take the survey within the last 10 minutes.

I entered my email address and it told me the survey was no longer available.

The front page of the survey said it would run through Jan 5th.

I guess they weren't getting enough "qualified" responders fast enough for their liking.

I hope that doesn't make things tougher for this site.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.