Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Why do mobile app crash?

Started by John Farrell Feb 5, 2015 at 8:23 AM 6 replies 3.6k views
Original Post
John Farrell
John Farrell

So, I would say its my craze or I don't know why but I want to know why do mobile apps crash? I have seen users over the forum seeking answer that my app crash what would I do and ... blah...blah... anyway but now I would say I want to know why do they crash and do we have any diagnostic tool available that we can use to check that "This application has crashed over your device because of the reason this and that ..... "

Nypyren
Nypyren
Depends on the device, and how much logging the app has. On Android, you can 'adb logcat' and sometimes get info. Not sure if the other platforms have any good methods or not.
Buster2000
Buster2000

Mobile apps crash for similar reasons that desktop apps crash. Overwriting memory, dangling pointers, overflows blah blah blah>

You can integrate frameworks like TestFlight, Hockey App or PLCrashReporter that will give you an itemised list of all crashes experienced by your users along with a symbolicated crash log call stack to help you debug your app.

John Farrell
John Farrell

Depends on the device, and how much logging the app has. On Android, you can 'adb logcat' and sometimes get info. Not sure if the other platforms have any good methods or not.

Hey Nypyren I think I am a little now over to these things so I wondering if you can guide me in knowing where actually can I find this " adb logcat " file ????

Brain
Brain


Depends on the device, and how much logging the app has. On Android, you can 'adb logcat' and sometimes get info. Not sure if the other platforms have any good methods or not.


Hey Nypyren I think I am a little now over to these things so I wondering if you can guide me in knowing where actually can I find this " adb logcat " file ????
You launch it remotely using the android sdk usually while your phone is plugged into usb, then launch your app.

There are also ways to launch it from settings menu.

My android knowledge is limited though so this is where my own advice must end, sorry...
John Farrell
John Farrell

Depends on the device, and how much logging the app has. On Android, you can 'adb logcat' and sometimes get info. Not sure if the other platforms have any good methods or not.


Hey Nypyren I think I am a little now over to these things so I wondering if you can guide me in knowing where actually can I find this " adb logcat " file ????
You launch it remotely using the android sdk usually while your phone is plugged into usb, then launch your app.

There are also ways to launch it from settings menu.

My android knowledge is limited though so this is where my own advice must end, sorry...

Thanks for the suggestion !! But still I don't get that ... :( I think I am a little more dumb then I though of myself !! :D I am sure other member over here will help me out once they see my post ! :)

alnite
alnite




Thanks for the suggestion !! But still I don't get that ... sad.png I think I am a little more dumb then I though of myself !! biggrin.png I am sure other member over here will help me out once they see my post ! smile.png

You first need to install the Android SDK. You might also need to install Java Development Kit (JDK).

Enable USB Debugging on your device. Where it is in the Settings depends on your phone's manufacturer. Look it up.

Plugin your Android device through USB. If you use Mac/Linux, it should be able to detect it. If you use Windows, you might need to install a driver first, again, depends on your phone manufacturer.

Then run the Android Monitor tool. It will give you the activities that's currently running on your phone.

If there's a crash, it will usually say so and why. However, this is usually for the developer of the app that's crashing. As a user, this information is not that useful because you don't have access to the source code.

John Farrell
John Farrell

Thanks for the suggestion !! But still I don't get that ... sad.png I think I am a little more dumb then I though of myself !! biggrin.png I am sure other member over here will help me out once they see my post ! smile.png

You first need to install the Android SDK. You might also need to install Java Development Kit (JDK).

Enable USB Debugging on your device. Where it is in the Settings depends on your phone's manufacturer. Look it up.

Plugin your Android device through USB. If you use Mac/Linux, it should be able to detect it. If you use Windows, you might need to install a driver first, again, depends on your phone manufacturer.

Then run the Android Monitor tool. It will give you the activities that's currently running on your phone.

If there's a crash, it will usually say so and why. However, this is usually for the developer of the app that's crashing. As a user, this information is not that useful because you don't have access to the source code.

Great I'll try that out right away and would let your know about the whole experience with it in a while ! :D

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.