Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Help me choose a C++ SDK for Android.

Started by GammaLazer Mar 7, 2015 at 2:04 PM 3 replies 4.1k views
Original Post
GammaLazer
GammaLazer

Hi first of all I am extremely sorry if I hurt the feelings of anyone by asking the question which might have been asked a much more times than required.

So I am a C++ programmer from last 3 years or so. I have not made any big projects but yeah build some small ones. Now I want to get into game development and as Android and IOS being the most used platforms I would like to target them.

For that I need an SDK or Toolkit.

So here are my requirements:

1) C++ language only please.

2) Free

3) I want to start with 2D ( But if it has 3D which I later plan to move on, then it would be great).

4) Cross Platform (atleast Android, IOS and Windows)

5) Windows testing available (optional).

6) Visual Studio Support (I really want it, its the best IDE)

7) Good Community support and tutorials.

Thanks in advance guys.

Wyrframe
Wyrframe

SDL2 fits that bill, as far as I know.

RIP GameDev.net: launched 2 unusably-broken forum engines in as many years, and now has ceased operating as a forum at all, happy to remain naught but an advertising platform with an attached social media presense, headed by a staff who by their own admission have no idea what their userbase wants or expects.Here's to the good times; shame they exist in the past.
SimmerD
SimmerD

There is Marmalade, which has great Windows Emulation Testing, but even its samples are crashing on Android for me right now.

Marmalade has both high & low-level interfaces, including in app purchaes, etc.

For android, I am using the free nvidia tegra development kit, which has native visual studio debugging on android devices! This is only low-level graphics and input.
I have also used libcinder on windows, which is low-level also.

I made my engine so I can just write three files, System.cpp and Render.cpp for each platform, and then a main.cpp to drive the update,input and rendering.

GammaLazer
GammaLazer

How is Oxygine engine. And is Marmalade free for indie games development.

Also how is Cocos2d-x?

X-Shiryu
X-Shiryu

Cocos2d-x is what you need: C++, Mobile/Desktop support, using VS.

Download the lastest version (3.4)

Run the cpp-app-test, from solution.

Be amazed with cocos2d-x. Lots of nice features. Can easily convince youbiggrin.png

Drawbacks: Getting update regurlarly, documentation is not so good, but:

Start from here for basic overview of Cocos2d-x (More chapters will be added later):

http://www.cocos2d-x.org/programmersguide/

From cpp-ap-test, there are many situations, covering a lot of things you will need.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.