Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Music as a graph

Started by Tutorial Doctor Jun 7, 2015 at 7:39 PM 5 replies 3.8k views
Original Post
Tutorial Doctor
Tutorial Doctor
So, I woke up with an idea the other day (more like an image). It was a series of fits and curves that visualized a series of notes. I wrote it down. Googled around but couldn't find anything. I attached the photo. Anyone ever seen anything like this as a way to visualize music, where the slopes can represent pitch, or even other facets of sound?

It sounds like an idea I would like to test out once I get more into sound. I want to formalize it.
They call me the Tutorial Doctor.
CCH Audio
CCH Audio

Written sheet music can be looked at the same way, pretty much. I suppose one could create a program/app that could import drawings and turn them into music. I don't know how listenable the end result would be. You could also look at the drawing and create music that follows the lines, could produce some interesting results. Seems like kind of a novelty to me, but I suppose the right person could turn the concept into something useful.

Tutorial Doctor
Tutorial Doctor
I think the dream came from a video series I was watching about quantum mechanics about the duality of particles and waves in everything.

Neither piano roll nor MIDI seem to reflect the slopes of the sounds though.
They call me the Tutorial Doctor.
Tutorial Doctor
Tutorial Doctor
That is exactly the idea I thought of! Thanks for this article. I have to read it to find out how it works, but I am seeing the step graphs and everything!

It almost looks like an LFO graph.
They call me the Tutorial Doctor.
Valoon
Valoon

I think some people already did that, I am pretty sure I heard about this kind of things already but I don't remember who did it sorry.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.