Advertisement

Windows 10 - slow boot up compared to 7

Started by August 03, 2015 02:35 PM
11 comments, last by 215648 9 years, 2 months ago

Windows 10 is booting up very slowly for me. Has anyone experienced this issue? It's not a hardware issue for sure and I even scanned my PC for viruses and adware (Yea, they were there but now they are removed by them. Plus, I installed graphic drivers for my GTX 970 and still it hasn't shown much improvements.)

Have you rebooted often enough to give the prefetcher a chance to fix your megahertz?
Advertisement
Upgrade or clean install? I ran upgrade for about 3 days before i reformatted due to sluggish performance issues. Havent had performance issues since.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

Upgrade or clean install? I ran upgrade for about 3 days before i reformatted due to sluggish performance issues. Havent had performance issues since.

Upgrade.
I just un-installed anti-virus and played with the power settings ("checking and unchecking things like fast startup and hibernation") and to my surprise, it booted quite quickly. Still, I've to confirm that this boot up is permanent by using this PC for like 2 days.
I'd try your suggestion of clean install if I experience this issue again.

I had very slow boot until I reinstalled my GeForce drivers *without* the 3D vision and Geforce Experience stuff. One of those things was causing the post-login boot process to stall for about 2 minutes.
Note that in Windows 8 and 10 you can see all your startup programs in task manager and relatively how much they affect bootup time. (I'd tell you the exact tab but not at a Win8/10 box right now)

So you could also take a look in there to see what might be affecting startup times.

I personally have not noticed any difference on any of my machines going from 8 to 10.
Advertisement

Note that in Windows 8 and 10 you can see all your startup programs in task manager and relatively how much they affect bootup time.

I looked at that right after upgrading, and the number of 3rd party apps that have wormed their way into startup is kind of horrifying.

Suggest you take a look there, and uninstall/disable anything you can live without. Shaved a good 20 seconds off my boot that way.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Hibernation is generally a good thing to disable. I don't know if they've finally fixed it, but I found it to be all kinds of broken in Windows 7 and 8 on desktop machines.

Everything and it's mother seems to want to install status checker and updater services (in addition to those that register themselves as regular apps that launch at startup and appear in the TaskManager startup pane). Periodically I go through and disable or switch these services from Automatic to Delayed Start, which helps you get to a working desktop and explorer faster.

Eric Richards

SlimDX tutorials - http://www.richardssoftware.net/

Twitter - @EricRichards22

When it comes to boot time issues it also helps if you try to narrow down what stage of booting seems to be eating time. Poorly configured systems can mean the computer eats a chunk of time scanning through attached drives or sitting there twiddling its thumbs as it counts down some oddly set wait period that gives the user time to enter bootloader interrupts for example.

We had a wonderful time trying to figure out what was wrong with one box at the office a few months ago, and eventually turned out that somehow a wait timer was configured to use minutes rather than the system standard default of seconds, and the wait value was then somehow entered as a reasonable number of microseconds... yeah.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

I added my microsoft account in Windows 10 and since then, it is ASKING for Microsoft account's password and NOT the PC Password. BTW, boot time was not that quick this time. Maybe this is due to the internet? (I've 512 kbps internet :3)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement