I'm making my own game engine and I want it to have good graphics. I thought about baking ray-traced scenes into textures in Blender, but that's not really a good idea because it takes too much time and works only for static objects. Then I discovered some indirect lighting techniques such as "Reflective Shadow Maps" and "Cascaded Light Propagation Volumes for Real Time Indirect Illumination".
So I'm wondering: what's the best indirect lighting technique for a game?
Of course, I need first to define "best technique". It should...
- ...be efficient
- ...be scalable (be able to increase performance by decreasing quality)
- ...look good
- ...be easy to implementate (not very important though - I wouldn't sacrifice quality just because it's hard to implement, but it sure counts)
Even though it may be a little opinion based, I want to know what you think, so feel free to post your thoughts. If you do suggest another technique, please put a link to documentation (articles) and, if available, a tutorial.