Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Android NDK C++ crash reporting

Started by return0 Nov 19, 2015 at 9:46 PM 2 replies 4.9k views
Original Post
return0
return0

Hi there, was wondering if anyone here has managed to get crash reporting working for Android apps using the NDK. I am using the HockeyApp SDK to try to get a stacktrace from a C++ app using Google breakpad. It seems to work great for some devices (samsung, asus), but doesn't work for other vendors. Interested to hear if anyone has got it or anything similar working - maybe crashlytics or similar?

return0
return0
I mean live deployed crash reporting from NDK crashed in apps that users have downloaded from Play store.

A common tool is Google Breakpad to parse minidump files and send them to a remote service, then use the unstripped debug symbols to get a useful trace. This is what HockeyApp does, for example. Mozilla have their own equivalent for Firefox.

I've been experimenting, and can get good traces from some devices, but for others the dump looks weird - it appears truncated, as if it's not got all the stack frames from my app lib at point of crash. Was wondering if anyone had ecountered similar?
C0lumbo
C0lumbo

I've released an Android game recently without having put much thought into crash reporting systems.

I've found that Java crashes (or unhandled java exceptions) are being caught and reported by Flurry (not something we particularly intended, we'd only plugged in Flurry for analytics).

Crashes in our C++ code are reported very well through the Google Play developer console (crashes appear quickly and symbolicated). It's much better than iOS's built-in crash reporting, which never seems to report anything at all because you have to wait until the same crash happens on the same version of iOS dozens of times before it'll show a report). I guess we're only seeing crash reports from users who have ticked some box to allow crash reports to be sent, but we're getting plenty through and I don't feel the need to use any third-party service.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.