Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Examples of Turn Based Tactical Games

Started by basil4j Feb 21, 2016 at 11:54 PM 19 replies 6k views
Original Post
basil4j
basil4j

Hi All,

Just floating around a concept in my head and am wondering if there are any examples of Turn-based Tactical games, more like Wasteland 2 than XCOM, but with a focus on melee and in a fantasy/medieval setting?

I cant for the life of me think of any...

Thanks!

Nypyren
Nypyren
Seems like a pretty straightforward Google query to me...
basil4j
basil4j

Yeah I tried that, nothing but Scifi/Modern!

Nypyren
Nypyren
Did you try adding "fantasy" to your Google query?
basil4j
basil4j

Certainly did. Mordheim is the closest example I found which is not a JRPG.

Ill keep searching of course, hoping someone might have some examples. It often surprises me what google doesn't find

sunandshadow
sunandshadow

I haven't played Wasteland but aside from the XCOM series and its fantasy clone Massive Chalice, the Disgaea series is my favorite recent turn-based tactical series. The MMO Dofus and it's sister game Wakfu also have turn-based tactical combat, though it's a little different since you are mainly controlling one unit instead of an army. Pox Nora is a hybrid TCG/tactical game where each unit card in your deck corresponds to placing a unit onto the tactical battlefield, it's pretty cool.

Good older tactical games include Azure Dreams and Eternal Eyes for PS1.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.
basil4j
basil4j

Thanks, ill take a look at those.

basil4j
basil4j

Banner Saga! Cant believe I didn't think of that, fantastic game :)

valrus
valrus

Gladius. Not medieval as such, but certainly not modern or sci-fi.

basil4j
basil4j
Gladius has a similar melee focus to what I am looking for, thanks :)
ferrous
ferrous

Fire Emblem, Blackguards, Warmachine, etc. You can just go to steam, use the keyword Turn-Based Tactics, and hit a bevy of them.

DifferentName
DifferentName

The answers are going to be a lot more limited when the question asks specifically for suggestions that are similar to one turn based tactical game than another. Like, someone suggested banner saga, which is a great game, but does it fall in the wasteland to xcom spectrum in a way that would make sense to suggest it?

I've never played wasteland. What qualities does wasteland have over xcom that you're looking for in a game?

Radiant Verge is a Turn-Based Tactical RPG where your movement determines which abilities you can use.
basil4j
basil4j
Thanks all. I realise this was quite an open question, but it resulted in some helpful suggestions.

I am brainstorming at the moment and was after examples to help me focus my ideas.

Using existing games as examples is the easiest way for me to describe it.

Historical setting, very minor fantasy (think folk tales).

Melee oriented, Mordheim like party management and combat, but WEGO grid based (like XCOM) movement with stealth elements.

Strategic layer a bit like XCOM but less global and more personalised party members, like Mordheim, or even Warhammer quest.

Lots of trimming and focusing still to go, but you've all helped, thanks :)
sunandshadow
sunandshadow

I stumbled over an interesting 2D sci-fi TBT game on steam today, it's called Halfway.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.
basil4j
basil4j
Will take a look :)
Orymus3
Orymus3

Just to be sure, would a game like Final Fantasy Tactics would qualify based off your original parameters? I assume it would, but I don't see it suggested?

Infinisearch
Infinisearch

Would Hero's of Might and Magic count?

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-
basil4j
basil4j

Hi There,

Not really, think XCOM with Swords :)

Infinisearch
Infinisearch

IIRC that's exactly what combat in it is... but there is more to it than just combat.

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.