Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

How To Build Your Console

Started by AmbushGames Mar 30, 2016 at 12:00 PM 10 replies 3.7k views
Nanoha
Nanoha

This is quite beyond ambitious. I wouldn't worry about programming the OS until you have an expert level understanding of electronics (maybe you already do). There was a similar thread here not so long ago which might have some useful information in there but I can't find it right now. The responses weren't very encouraging though and I suspect you will likely get similar responses. It is a major under taking. You'd be better off working on something that already exists and making it console like (basic PC with inux, raspberry pi). You could make usb type peripherals for it then.

Edit: I think this was the thread I was referring too:

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/676821-where-can-i-learn-to-create-a-server-for-a-homebrew-game-for-my-own-console/

As a said, hardly encouraging responses but realistic.

Interested in Fractals? Check out my App, Fractal Scout, free on the Google Play store.
frob
frob

No.

You are talking about devices that cost a fortune to develop. An individual can make small custom boards, the type of system seen in the 1970's, but more than that is unrealistic unless you have a team of people with degrees in electrical engineering, computer engineering, and similar.

You mentioned the Raspberry Pi. That is a good start down the path.

Nanoha
Nanoha

Ok. I think I might find code to copy on the Internet, or save up for a raspberry pi.

Raspberry Pi is a great choice and it is VERY affordable. I think they have done a model that costs only $5.

Interested in Fractals? Check out my App, Fractal Scout, free on the Google Play store.
IceSheep
IceSheep
A while ago I made a small handheld game. I made it with a glcd, an atmega1284p, a joystick, a speaker and some buttons. It was written in C.

Something to try if you want a challenge.

Note: I didn't finish the project, damn glcd!!!
Vikato
Vikato

There are a couple of kits here that may be what you are looking for, specifically the XGameStation and the HYDRA Game Development Kit, that allow you to build an 8 bit console from scratch and learn to program games for it.

Manufacturing metaphores in my melancholy mind.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.