Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Is there an opportunity for a systems engineer?

Started by Mjic99 Apr 3, 2016 at 11:35 PM 13 replies 4.7k views
Original Post
Mjic99
Mjic99

Hello, I'm from Perú, South America, I'm almost 17 and this year I'll begin to study system engineering at college. I've always wanted to work in the game industry (preferably in programming), so my question would be how possible do you think it'll be for someone like me to enter to the industry (referring to getting a job, if it is possible that someone can hire me, maybe with an interview via skype, idk); I am willing to travel because there are no opportunities in game development here in Perú.

Of course, I'm now learning C# and Unity on my own, and during my studies I'l work on some projects that i will add to my portfolio.

You might think that systems engineering has not much to deal with programming, but here in South America there is a kind of misconception about system engineering, so colleges teach subjects like web and java programming, software development, etc. (and most of the maths needed to make games, but it also covers subjects like project management). Job offers for programmers in my country ask for a degree in system engineering, and I need to get experience in professional programming here first before applying to a job abroad.

You may also ask why am I not going to study Computer Science; but, to make a long story short, that career has no future in this country (nobody would hire me) :(.

Sorry for my bad english, stupidity or lack of knowledge; you can ask me whatever.

Tom Sloper
Tom Sloper
mjic, I moved your question to the Job Advice board because the board where you posted is for
questions about learning programming.
You're asking if you can get work as a game programmer, is that right? If the best degree you can
get in Peru is Systems Engineering, go ahead and get it. What degree a candidate has is not as
important as what the candidate has learned to do to build a spectacular portfolio.

Take this in steps: first, go for the degree. In your spare time, make games and build a portfolio.
After you have your degree, then start working towards getting a job. Maybe a game company will exist
in your area by then.
-- Tom Sloper    --      sloperama.com
Mjic99
Mjic99

mjic, I moved your question to the Job Advice board because the board where you posted is for
questions about learning programming.
You're asking if you can get work as a game programmer, is that right? If the best degree you can
get in Peru is Systems Engineering, go ahead and get it. What degree a candidate has is not as
important as what the candidate has learned to do to build a spectacular portfolio.

Take this in steps: first, go for the degree. In your spare time, make games and build a portfolio.
After you have your degree, then start working towards getting a job. Maybe a game company will exist
in your area by then.

You're right, I apologise for wrong topic. Thanks for the advice

UltimateWalrus
UltimateWalrus

While a college degree certainly helps, your credentials aren't as important as being able to demonstrate that you can program. From what I can tell, assuming you are a decent programmer you're virtually guaranteed to find some sort of job in the US, as there is rabid demand for programmers over here.

Dave Weinstein
Dave Weinstein

While a college degree certainly helps, your credentials aren't as important as being able to demonstrate that you can program. From what I can tell, assuming you are a decent programmer you're virtually guaranteed to find some sort of job in the US, as there is rabid demand for programmers over here.

OP is in Peru. To get a job in the US, OP would require a work visa. That is something that is going to be hard to get no matter what, it is significantly harder without a degree.

(The exception is an O-1 visa, but if you qualify for the O-1 visa, you don't need to be asking questions on a web forum)

Mjic99
Mjic99

OP is in Peru. To get a job in the US, OP would require a work visa. That is something that is going to be hard to get no matter what, it is significantly harder without a degree.

(The exception is an O-1 visa, but if you qualify for the O-1 visa, you don't need to be asking questions on a web forum)

Excuse me, what is the meaning of OP?, and I will have a bachellor´s degree, so getting a visa for me won't be too hard i think.

Dave Weinstein
Dave Weinstein

OP is "Original Poster".

And even with a degree, getting a visa to work in the US is a bit of a crap shoot -- you not only need a company willing to sponsor you (which most game companies are not), you need to be lucky enough to get a spot in the lottery.

Tom Sloper
Tom Sloper
Mjic, as Dave said, OP means "the original poster," the person who started the thread (you).
It's mildly inconvenient to scroll all the way back to the top post to get the name,
so forum users often just say "OP."
-- Tom Sloper    --      sloperama.com
Mjic99
Mjic99

And even with a degree, getting a visa to work in the US is a bit of a crap shoot -- you not only need a company willing to sponsor you (which most game companies are not), you need to be lucky enough to get a spot in the lottery.

I think I've heard that Canada accepts people with a degree that are willing to live there.

UltimateWalrus
UltimateWalrus

Remote freelance programming is becoming more and more common these days (I do it all the time, even internationally). It could be rough to plan an entire career around that but you could certainly try. It really boils down to how good of a programmer you are, and having finished (preferably solo) projects that demonstrate your skill. If you're decent then I bet there will be people willing to hire you internationally (and you can work from home in your underpants).

If you get good at programming you can shoot me an email (admin at ultimatewalrus.com), and maybe I'd consider subcontracting sometimes or referring people who don't want to pay my rate to you.

Mjic99
Mjic99

Remote freelance programming is becoming more and more common these days (I do it all the time, even internationally). It could be rough to plan an entire career around that but you could certainly try. It really boils down to how good of a programmer you are, and having finished (preferably solo) projects that demonstrate your skill. If you're decent then I bet there will be people willing to hire you internationally (and you can work from home in your underpants).

If you get good at programming you can shoot me an email (admin at ultimatewalrus.com), and maybe I'd consider subcontracting sometimes or referring people who don't want to pay my rate to you.

I guess that all jobs ask for C++, right?

0r0d
0r0d

I guess that all jobs ask for C++, right?

Learning C# and Unity are good starts. I'm not sure what languages you might be learning as part of your degree, but learning C++ is a major plus if you want to work as a programmer in the games industry.

Mjic99
Mjic99

Learning C# and Unity are good starts. I'm not sure what languages you might be learning as part of your degree, but learning C++ is a major plus if you want to work as a programmer in the games industry.

In my college: Java, Java and Java, oh and Html and CSS. I'll learn C++ by myself

UltimateWalrus
UltimateWalrus

Remote freelance programming is becoming more and more common these days (I do it all the time, even internationally). It could be rough to plan an entire career around that but you could certainly try. It really boils down to how good of a programmer you are, and having finished (preferably solo) projects that demonstrate your skill. If you're decent then I bet there will be people willing to hire you internationally (and you can work from home in your underpants).

If you get good at programming you can shoot me an email (admin at ultimatewalrus.com), and maybe I'd consider subcontracting sometimes or referring people who don't want to pay my rate to you.

I guess that all jobs ask for C++, right?

It doesn't matter... just get good at the programming language you like the best. Even visual languages aimed at beginners (like Clickteam Fusion/Game Maker) are actually an excellent place to start. Once you feel confident, learn a few more languages. A programmer is a programmer... once you get good enough, you can pick up a new language over a weekend.

Granted, learning C++ eventually is an excellent idea because most other modern languages aren't as low-level (close to the hardware). Without knowledge of a low-level language like C++ you won't understand what's actually happening when you program in high-level languages, you'll just have to assume that computers are magic and things like garbage collection are necessary "for some reason," which is not a very good foundation if you want to become skilled.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.