Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

What are the different 2D/3D projections used to develop a game?

Started by prixone Apr 18, 2016 at 11:24 PM 5 replies 3.1k views
Original Post
prixone
prixone

More specifically, we have for example isometric and orthogonal maps, etc...

Not sure if my title reflects the content of this question or if what I am talking about is mainly tied to tiles and map/world rather then graphics in general, but hopefully some one will adjust it.

What are the different options available, 2D and 3D wise for the development of map/open-worlds?

If possible, also add a screenshot sample of what it looks like.

You could say I am looking for a comprehensive list but unsure of the terms to use to achieve the results described above...

jpetrie
jpetrie

Sounds like you don't really mean "graphics," but specifically what kinds of 3D projections are available (that's what 'isometric' and 'orthogonal' are, types of projections).

Why are you looking for this information? What's your goal?

prixone
prixone

Hi Josh,

Yes, I was unsure on how to name it, I will reword the title.

Well initially to broaden my own knowledge, I've made some orthogonal games(for learning purposes) and was thinking of doing something bigger now and I would like to have a better understanding of the projections that can be done as I think it could and will be useful in the future either as a feature or learning curve as well to decide what path to follow with it.

Like for example I wasn't even aware of Axonometric at least not by the name(which is one method used for 2.5D)... So I was looking for a comprehensive list of the possible projections in 2D and 3D to further make use or understand it. If at all possible with sample images but not necessary, since the formula is available, which I can roughly guess or make samples out of.

prixone
prixone

I recommend you check out A Layman’s Guide to Projection in Videogames. I have some more links on my site at http://www.gamedevpensieve.com/design/perspective.


Nice material thanks for the link.

This kind of stuff is often well documented at wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphical_projection is the overview page

It usually is and is also easy to find when you have the right term to search for, but I was lacking the "projection" part of it until yesterday.

Thanks.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.