(e.g. attack with 320 against an army of 50 and you'll loose 50 units)
– So by design combat is extremely predictable and straightforward.
At the same time, combat is a rather rare occurrence and is something that should feel "special". So the question is how to visualise it.
Looking at other games there's the "Animated armies battling it out" style, and "Card game style" (with "cards" alternating taking damage).
"Animated armies" feels a bit wrong for our game, since you mostly only have a single army type (and honestly it needs to look very good not to feel corny).
I tried the "card game" approach, with the army "card" taking damage, but it was rather boring - again because each side usually has a single army type.
There's the original "Pirates!" approach where the amounts for each side is slowly ticking down until one side defeated, but I don't know if that is interesting enough.
What possibilities am I overlooking? Adding too complex a screen will be a bit weird as the battle is straightforward. But I don't just want to throw up the popup with the result.