I've noticed there is a lot of discussion about designer's end results and how it effects their current game-play. It's great, however I feel we are missing out on some very important discussions about game design as a whole. The process of how you get there is just as important as your final decisions on design. I myself have my own style of going about things, but It leads to roughly the same outcomes. Sometimes even a change in the way you go about designing and the thought processes behind it can lead to things you never knew you could come up with. So, what is your design process like?
Here are some questions to help get the ball rolling:
- What setting do you try and put yourself in? (listen to Music? Watch Movies? TV? etc?)
- What do you physically do while you're designing? (Are you in front of the computer typing? Draw something? Write?)
- How do you go about thinking when designing a game? (Game mechanics can be different than your storyline)
- When you have a solid game mechanic or design aspect in mind, whats your steps to improving upon them?
- How often do you go back to the drawing board after laying our a certain tree of mechanics and design aspects?
Game design is dynamic and every individual has their own style of getting from point A to point B. So don't limit yourself to the questions(you could even ignore them), include anything you deem is important to YOUR process. I'll be awaiting your answers :)