Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Stackoverflow And Money

Started by ongamex92 Jul 27, 2016 at 7:48 PM 33 replies 9.4k views
Hodgman
Hodgman

It's enormous to me too, but equivalent to what US recruiters offer me.

jpetrie
jpetrie
"Accurate" how? It certainly seems like they offer reasonably competitive pay.
frob
frob

I checked several in a few cities, they seem ballpark reasonable for the US.

If you're somewhere else like eastern Europe or India or similar the wages won't equate well. Wages are the primary reason so many US firms are eager to offshore their technical work.

/Edit: Your profile doesn't have your location, but the name in your public profile looks Slavic. From a quick search for the unusual name it probably means you're in Bulgaria since you write of an enormous money difference. The US is a rich country, with plenty of wealth and a high standard of living, and a huge demand for technically-skilled workers. Apparently in Bulgaria, not so much demand apparently.

RLS0812
RLS0812

As a veteran in a management position, yes .

As an average "code monkey" , not even close.

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
conquestor3
conquestor3

That's about right for our developers and product managers, it's off (under) for designer.

ongamex92
ongamex92

@Josh Petrie I've imagine that on west the average web developer earns ~average game programmer salary.
@frob yeah, I was just curious about the average salary in the western countries.

@frob how did you found out my name :D, I really would love to hide that information. (really can't find it anywhere on GDNet)

@frob EDIT Just found it, could you edit you replay in order to keep my identity a bit less of a public information (not that it really matters, but just in case).

frob
frob

It's right in your public user profile. I literally just clicked on your username.

Unduli
Unduli

It needs to be compared with average wage in same and other sectors in US to be meaningful. Then PPP (Purchasing Power Parity) should be taken into consideration.

PS : BG = Country Code of Bulgaria

mostates by moson?e | Embrace your burden
ferrous
ferrous

I remember reading that in some eastern European country, Bulgaria or Romania, I cannot remember, that wages for software developers were shockingly low, even compared to the wages of other professions in the country, so a lot of developers would move to other countries.

EDIT: And that tool roughly matches my current salary at my experience level. (with whatever the default skill level was)

Unduli
Unduli

I remember reading that in some eastern European country, Bulgaria or Romania, I cannot remember, that wages for software developers were shockingly low, even compared to the wages of other professions in the country, so a lot of developers would move to other countries.

EDIT: And that tool roughly matches my current salary at my experience level. (with whatever the default skill level was)

Afaik, Romania and Bulgaria has lowest wages in EU , wouldn't be surprised if developer wages were as well.

And this tool suggest $86K for zero year experience and zero skill so better than McDonald's :)

mostates by moson?e | Embrace your burden
Hodgman
Hodgman

It's right in your public user profile. I literally just clicked on your username.

No... moderators see fields that users have set as private. Try logging out and clicking that link again.

Dirk Gregorius
Dirk Gregorius

This is a solid pay, but you can make 2-3 times of this in the US as programmer (base salary, bonus and stocks).

frob
frob

It's right in your public user profile. I literally just clicked on your username.

No... moderators see fields that users have set as private. Try logging out and clicking that link again.

Oops. Sorry. I thought that was a public field. Either way, removed as soon as it was requested, and sorry again.

ferrous
ferrous

This is a solid pay, but you can make 2-3 times of this in the US as programmer (base salary, bonus and stocks).

Oh good point, I was only comparing salary, not anything else, like bonus, benefits and stock.

ronan.thibaudau
ronan.thibaudau

Not exactly on topic but very close, anyone else surprised that the "skill" participates so little to the salary in a company like that that recognize the difference in productivy within devs is major? (from 0 to a full 5 it's a 50% raise at 10 years experience)

As for Something more on topic salaries can also look higher than they are if you view them within the mind of another country (for exemple a salary could be much higher because there are less taxes on it, but you pay more money through lack of health coverage or education that you actually need to pay for).

Exemple for France vs USA, my net salary in France is much much much lower than the company pays for me, a lot of it gots to the state, but if i have any health issue for any reason i pay 0 for ER, then if anything is wrong i still pay 0 for any surgery and then i pay, you guessed it , 0 for anything past that except for a small amount (i think 10 euros or similar?) for the room / food per day. I also don't have to save up to get my (hypotetical, i still need to find a willing girl!) kids through college as it's free and the best superior studies are free (some even pay their students while they study).

Not saying one is necessarily better than the other, just saying a straight $ comparison between countries may not be the best way to see it because you may be getting significantly less money but as much value.

ongamex92
ongamex92

It's right in your public user profile. I literally just clicked on your username.

No... moderators see fields that users have set as private. Try logging out and clicking that link again.

Oops. Sorry. I thought that was a public field. Either way, removed as soon as it was requested, and sorry again.

@frob it was public, you did nothing wrong.


PS : BG = Country Code of Bulgaria

Yeah, I can live with that :)

Gian-Reto
Gian-Reto

Not so enormous for me, but then I live and work in Switzerland, which is the country with most probably the highest cost of living in the world (besides cities like London).

On the other hand, if you factor in the totally missing social security system in the US, and the crap work contracts you get there, a higher income is actually just making up for the difference in benefits.

(like 2 weeks of notice if you are fired... its 3 months here in switzerland most of the time, depending on your contract and the amount of years working for a company, could easely be around 6 months, sometimes those are 6 months paid without having to work at your old company anymore, or at least your are allowed to look for a new job on the old companys payroll).

Now, what is skill level 2 exactly? Because I have seen a quite large discrepancy in what a developer, and senior developer can expect being paid.... Senior can get 25-30% more without a problem.

Then this seems to be a national average. Keep in mind that in some areas developers might make a ridicolous amount of money, driving the national average up. Just tick the checkbox and you see what I mean. The fact that the biggest employers for software devs tend to be located in these areas, thus they employ a quite large portion of the develoeprs in the US, of course skews the picture even more.

I would bet if you find a job with a small software development house in Utah or Texas, you can slash at least 25% off that salary, if not more.

EDIT: Oh, do I read "London" in the checkbox description? Is this meant to be a worldwide average? Then I have to question what countries besides the US and UK are included, because I know there are a ton of developers in India and the CIS Region, and they have WAY lower incomes there.

Buster2000
Buster2000

It is fairly accurate for a London developer working in "The City" or Canary Wharf but a little high for the majority of developers who work outside of finance.

Kylotan
Kylotan
Agreed, that's way too high for London. London does pay more compared to the rest of the UK but a typical web developer with 3yrs experience does not get £90k for working in London. I've seen under half that for cool startups and never above 2/3rds that for someone with only 3 years experience.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.