Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Ad Blocker Notification

Started by Lactose Aug 10, 2016 at 10:30 PM 27 replies 7.8k views
Original Post
Lactose
Lactose

2 things

1. The notification contains the following blurb (emphasis added): "Please whitelist GameDev.net or consider a GDNet+ subscription".

I am GDNet+, but I still see the notification. Me being a subscriber is mainly due to using ad blockers, but still wanting to contribute. If possible, I'd definitely prefer the notification not to be there when logged in to a subscriber account.

2. The notification does not play nice when attempting to create a new thread (and I would guess the same occurs when posting a reply with the full editor instead of quick reply). It seems like the notification is drawn behind the text editor window, the notification is impossible to read and/or close, and you're forced to just wait until the timer expires before you're able to proceed as normal. This also was bad on the performance -- almost unresponsive when scrolling.

(Windows 10, Chrome)

Hello to all my stalkers.
khawk

1. This is a tricky one because by using an ad blocker with GDNet+, you're also blocking ads from fellow GDNet+ members who are also supporting the site and using the advertising option available to subscribers. GDNet+ removes the bulk/3rd party ads but not direct GDNet ad inventory. Have to think about this.

2. Okay, have to check into that. Could be a simple fix.

Admin for GameDev.net.
Lactose
Lactose

Thanks for the swift feedback :)

1. I can see this being an issue. I see the text has been updated for now, and I would say the new text is an improvement.

2. It looks like this is better already, it's now being drawn on top. The overlay (or whatever the thing is called) seems to be too large, though. Scrolling while the notification is open will first scroll a bit in the notification, and then move onto scrolling the window once the notification is fully scrolled.

This can also been seen by the virtue of there being 2 sets of scroll bars -- 1 for the normal page and 1 for the notification overlay.

This might have been an issue before the change as well, so it might not have been introduced now.

EDIT: Whitelisted for now, until a decision has been made.

Hello to all my stalkers.
khawk

May I ask what resolution you are typically viewing the site in? I'm surprised about the scroll bars in the modal dialog, but I can see how that might happen depending on resolution. Also, browser would be helpful too.

Thanks!

Admin for GameDev.net.
Mussi
Mussi



This is a tricky one because by using an ad blocker with GDNet+, you're also blocking ads from fellow GDNet+ members who are also supporting the site and using the advertising option available to subscribers.

Why is that relevant?

Lactose
Lactose



May I ask what resolution you are typically viewing the site in?

I believe it's 1920x1080.

Windows 10, Chrome.

If you need more details I'll provide them when I'm back home this evening.

Hello to all my stalkers.
xycsoscyx
xycsoscyx

I'm getting the same issue and noticed the two threads here about it. Is this a new popup on the site? I haven't changed any browser settings (Chrome with Adguard, have had it for quite some time), but only today started seeing the popup, despite being GDNet+ myself. I don't know what message Lactose! was seeing or how it changed, but I still see a generic message about considering the GDNet+ subscription to remove bulk/3rd party ads.

khawk



Why is that relevant?

I attempted to explain this in more detail in the staff blog: http://www.gamedev.net/blog/2223/entry-2262126-ad-blocking-and-gamedevnet/.

But the gist is that GDNet+ does not remove ads altogether and never has. It removes the bulk/network ads from networks like Adsense and Amazon. This means GDNet+ subscribers are served a significantly smaller pool of ads than regular users, so if ad blockers are used then the pool has a higher degree of competition (less available slots to fill).

GDNet+ subscribers have the option of advertising on GameDev.net. Each "order" is a very small amount of impressions expected to last ~1 month in duration. It's expected that these ads are also highly targeted specifically to game development, so as a viewer you are highly unlikely to see an ad about something you would have no interest in seeing.

This advertising option is a value add to the GDNet+ subscription. However, if GDNet+ subscribers block ads, then they diminish the value of the GDNet+ subscription for others because GDNet+ generated ads are now competing in a larger ad pool (with ad networks and others).

The same principle applies to advertisers who work directly with us (non-network/bulk ads) - these are ads guaranteed to be relevant to game development and are shown to everyone, but if you block them as a GDNet+ subscriber, you are diminishing the value of GameDev.net to those advertisers because their message does not reach their intended audience.

We'll consider an ad-free tier of GDNet+ since there seems to be some demand for it, but it won't happen overnight.

Admin for GameDev.net.
xycsoscyx
xycsoscyx

Was there a recent change to this functionality though (the popup in general)? Prior to today, I never saw that popup despite always having adblock enabled (not sure if my adblock suddenly updated or something).

jpetrie
jpetrie



Was there a recent change to this functionality though (the popup in general)?

Yeah. It used to not exist. Now it does. That's why you didn't see it before :)

Lactose
Lactose

After a bit of thought -- I don't think I'd mind much if the only ads I saw (as a GDNet+ subscriber) were the GDNet+ ads.

Currently, I'm seeing ads for sunglasses, some online game with the typical "let's show a pretty woman in different outfits and hope people click it and play our game", some sort of nail product targetted at women, etc.

There's also several normal game ads in rotation (which are more relevant, granted), but there seems to be more than just normal game development things going on.

Hello to all my stalkers.
Mussi
Mussi



However, if GDNet+ subscribers block ads, then they diminish the value of the GDNet+ subscription for others because GDNet+ generated ads are now competing in a larger ad pool (with ad networks and others).

I'm not sure I follow your logic here. I'm guessing what you're saying is that someone that is subscribed to GDNet+ is the target group of those that provide ads, be it some 3rd party or another GDNet+ subscriber. If someone from that group blocks ads, more value is lost so to say.

First of all, that is not necessarily true. An ad might want to target people that want to get into game development but aren't yet, e.g. when advertising a beginner game development course. Arguably, the GDNet+ group is already into game development and thus less likely to click such an add.
Secondly, I'm not comfortable with the idea that I'm paying to become more targeted. Technically I'm just as targeted as anyone else, but in your reasoning I've become that guy that you 'know' is of more value to someone else, so therefor can not let off with not showing that popup even though that guy supports the site more than an ad clicker.

I've used GDNet in the past without blocking ads, but after seeing some horrible ads that increase load times, track your shit and even link to malware sites I'm probably not going back to that. I don't mind ads by other GDNet+ members as these are controlled and limited to images, I more then welcome those, just keep the rest away from me.

khawk



Currently, I'm seeing ads for sunglasses,...

I'll check that.

Admin for GameDev.net.
khawk
However, if GDNet+ subscribers block ads, then they diminish the value of the GDNet+ subscription for others because GDNet+ generated ads are now competing in a larger ad pool (with ad networks and others).

I'm not sure I follow your logic here. I'm guessing what you're saying is that someone that is subscribed to GDNet+ is the target group of those that provide ads, be it some 3rd party or another GDNet+ subscriber. If someone from that group blocks ads, more value is lost so to say.

First of all, that is not necessarily true. An ad might want to target people that want to get into game development but aren't yet, e.g. when advertising a beginner game development course. Arguably, the GDNet+ group is already into game development and thus less likely to click such an add.
Secondly, I'm not comfortable with the idea that I'm paying to become more targeted. Technically I'm just as targeted as anyone else, but in your reasoning I've become that guy that you 'know' is of more value to someone else, so therefor can not let off with not showing that popup even though that guy supports the site more than an ad clicker.

I've used GDNet in the past without blocking ads, but after seeing some horrible ads that increase load times, track your shit and even link to malware sites I'm probably not going back to that. I don't mind ads by other GDNet+ members as these are controlled and limited to images, I more then welcome those, just keep the rest away from me.

I can understand the perspective that GDNet+ makes you more targeted and that it may appear we intend to use GDNet+ as a more targeted audience, but that is not our intent nor is it the plan. GDNet+ has no influence on advertising other than a determination of what level of advertisements GDNet+ subscribers should be subjected to - ideally as little as possible, which is the intent.

While GDNet+ is a show of support in exchange for small benefits (or just consider it a massive discount for banner ads), as I've said several times now, we can't completely eliminate advertising to GDNet+ at current rates and services (it would require a 4-5x price increase and probably a new 'ad-free' tier). But what we can do is try to show ads to GDNet+ that are more relevant to game development and tech vs. an Amazon ad trying to get you to buy the last 10 items you looked at.

If this isn't enough, then let me make the case we shouldn't have to make. In recent weeks ad blockers have been known to block perfectly valid content on GameDev.net, including images the ad blocker claimed was an ad because the image linked to elsewhere or in some cases an external link was next to the image. Even if you don't believe in the economics behind ads for all users, this alone is reason enough to justify requesting that our users stop using ad blockers.

Ideally we have no ads. I'd love to make that happen. Maybe one day, but not right now.

Either way, we hear the concerns and will find solutions. We deeply appreciate the GDNet+ subscribers and will continue to ensure that GDNet+ subscribers receive the best possible treatment and services in balance with the full community.

Admin for GameDev.net.
Mussi
Mussi

I do understand the need for ads and I'm curious to the effectiveness of this change. I may have come off as feeling entitled to an ad-free GDNet, I don't :P. Keep doing whatever is required to keep GDNet up and running.

But what we can do is try to show ads to GDNet+ that are more relevant to game development and tech vs. an Amazon ad trying to get you to buy the last 10 items you looked at.


That would be a great improvement.

I think I speak on behalf of all of us when I say we appreciate all the hard work you've put into GDNet.

khawk



I'm curious to the effectiveness of this change

I'm monitoring this closely. Probably look at several major data points and compare with historicals every hour.

I can't share all the information and it's very early so a trend hasn't been established, but early indications are that the change has led to a huge improvement (30%+) in all critical stats and in line with expectations based on the data that led to this decision.

Doesn't mean it's perfect either because we need to make sure we aren't damaging GDNet+ or other aspects of the site, but but it's a step in the right direction. :)

Admin for GameDev.net.
LennyLen
LennyLen

Is it possible to get rid of animated ads? Static ads don't bother me so much, but I find it irritating trying to read while an ad is constantly flashing in my face.

khawk

Is it possible to get rid of animated ads? Static ads don't bother me so much, but I find it irritating trying to read while an ad is constantly flashing in my face.

That's a little more difficult, but we can try to keep very distracting animation ads from appearing.

Admin for GameDev.net.
Aardvajk
Aardvajk

I've whitelisted GameDev since the thing started hassling me about it and the site experience is absolutely fine for me with ads enabled. So a good call - I forget I even have AdBlock running after a while but I'm more than happy to enable ads on sites that don't then get annoying with it, which so far GDNet as certainly not at all.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.