Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Blade Runner-ish city mood not working, could use some direction

Started by Koobazaur Aug 14, 2016 at 6:21 PM 3 replies 2.2k views
Original Post
Koobazaur
Koobazaur
Hey guys, so I'm working on a simple side-scrolling city scene and struggling with the art. I've done an art test using Kenny's free tiles and going after a Blade Runner esque feel but not quite nailing it.
YxMU1mN.jpg
(Click for Bigger)
I know I lack all the Asian stuff but I don't want that. I also don't have the glowy banners (yet), but even with how its looking, I'm not sure that would solve it. I focused on lots of different colors and bloom in a night scene but it doesn't feel right. What am I missing?
Comrade, Listen! The Glorious Commonwealth's first Airship has been compromised! Who is the saboteur? Who can be saved? Uncover what the passengers are hiding and write the grisly conclusion of its final hours in an open-ended, player-driven adventure. Dziekujemy! -- Karaski: What Goes Up...
JoeJ
JoeJ

In addition i miss fog and city density.

Your city looks sparse and still too bright, Bladerunner is dark, dense neverending city - no horizion, just more buildings everywhere.

Kryzon
Kryzon

I agree with the previous posts.

Additionally,
- It's missing some texture \ chaos (graffiti, cracks, billboards etc.)
- The buildings on the background need lights too, else they look like a district under blackout.
- I would change the lighting in some parts, like the roofs. I would also use less smooth gradients, replacing for sharper zones, though I didn't do that in the image below as it would take too much time.

city_Example.png

Abuse (DOS, 1995) had some cool grunge visuals:

city_Example2.png

Koobazaur
Koobazaur

Thanks for the feedback and pictures, very useful to non-artist myself :)

Comrade, Listen! The Glorious Commonwealth's first Airship has been compromised! Who is the saboteur? Who can be saved? Uncover what the passengers are hiding and write the grisly conclusion of its final hours in an open-ended, player-driven adventure. Dziekujemy! -- Karaski: What Goes Up...

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.