Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

New interface

Started by taby Nov 23, 2016 at 6:15 PM 70 replies 13.7k views
Original Post
taby
taby

... looks like it took a lot of work. The interface is very nice.

markypooch
markypooch

Yeah I just noticed it as well. A bit easier on the eyes, now 2017 can begin.

aeroKittens
aeroKittens

[attachment=34027:thumbs up0.jpg] @[member='Khawk'],

Edit: whats "Ignore forum" at the top right supposed to do? That kinda seems like a negative (or unnecessary) thing (or language) to add though

can't help being grumpy... Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode... 
khawk



whats "Ignore forum" at the top right supposed to do? That kinda seems like a negative (or unnecessary) thing (or language) to add though

It used to be "Follow this group" and "Unfollow this group" or something like that. I'm not settled on the language myself, but it was the best I had at the moment. Options I see are:

  • Follow/Unfollow Forum
  • Watch/Unwatch Forum
  • Watch/Ignore Forum
  • Like/Unlike Forum

Running out of synonyms. It could just be the "Follow", but I was trying to reduce the button size through creative wording. :)

Basically it's a function to notify you when changes occur and the opposite of that when you are already subscribed, but the language for the opposite of "Watch" is tough.. If anyone has any better words for that I'm open to suggestions, or it can just go back to "Follow/Unfollow" and take a few more pixels.

Admin for GameDev.net.
aeroKittens
aeroKittens

"Enable Notifications/Disable Notifications", comes to mind but this would significantly increase button size

So how about using "notifications" only on the button, with a cursor pop-up showing the toggle ---> "Enable/Disable"

Probably thread should move to CSI

can't help being grumpy... Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode... 
Syntac_
Syntac_

This new layout does not play well with 4:3 screens. The sidebar ads take up a quarter. Can these not be moved to the top/bottom for 4:3 screens?

Apart from that I like the new changes.

Lactose
Lactose

One thing I miss from the old layout is having unread threads bold while read threads are normal in the forum list, as it made it a lot easier to see at a glance (even with the blue highlight I find I have to double-check).

Currently both unread and read are bold.

Hello to all my stalkers.
Luckless
Luckless

"It is terrible. I hate it. I'm going to stop visiting here if the site doesn't go back to how it looked..."

But seriously, the update feels clean and looks nice. Only update I can think of off hand so far would be getting forum posts to take up the full width of the window rather than the big blank space below the side bar once you scroll down past the last ad box.

It was also very weird when I glanced over the page a few times during the day. Not sure if the changes were rolled out slowly, or it was just weird caching effects going on my end, but the change seemed to be slow and subtle and was just weird. "Wait, something seems off... *read another post* wait, more things seem different... what's going on?" Good times, good times.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
khawk

One thing I miss from the old layout is having unread threads bold while read threads are normal in the forum list, as it made it a lot easier to see at a glance (even with the blue highlight I find I have to double-check).

Currently both unread and read are bold.

Interesting because it never did that. :) At least not according to the stylesheet. What I think you might have been seeing is links visited vs not visited. Links are still being tweaked so I'll keep that in mind. Also maybe the blue highlight is too soft to be noticeable on some screens. There's also the read/unread dot in the left column of the row to help identify. Either way, we'll definitely consider ways to make sure it's easy to identify read/unread content.


This new layout does not play well with 4:3 screens. The sidebar ads take up a quarter. Can these not be moved to the top/bottom for 4:3 screens?

Apart from that I like the new changes.

I'll look at this more. Our right info column standard is 300 pixels, which goes away once it takes over more than 25% of the screen (can confirm by resizing the browser window).

Admin for GameDev.net.
Lactose
Lactose
What I think you might have been seeing is links visited vs not visited.

Yeah, that's probably it. Whatever it was, I liked it :P

Another thing I just noticed is that in the notification dropdown, the top-most notification seems to be wrapping due to the proximity of the options above/to the right of it ("View All Notifications" * "Options").

Very slight issue, but felt off compared to how the other notifications wrap.

Hello to all my stalkers.
khawk



Another thing I just noticed is that in the notification dropdown, the top-most notification seems to be wrapping due to the proximity of the options above/to the right of it ("View All Notifications" * "Options").

Good catch. Fixed it to be more consistent with layout of the Inbox dropdown.




"It is terrible. I hate it. I'm going to stop visiting here if the site doesn't go back to how it looked..."

You must remember the pitchfork rebellions from design changes we've made in the past. :)

Re: the white space on the right. Yeah, not ideal. Maybe we'll get creative with it.

Admin for GameDev.net.
Lactose
Lactose



Good catch. Fixed it to be more consistent with layout of the Inbox dropdown.

Nice :)

Another minor annoyance I have (not related to the new design):

On the top of every thread is a "Showing all posts" drop-down, allowing you to filter based on points the posts have.

The filters seem like they reference some (very?) old system, instead of the number of votes which I would expect. 100 points up to 30,000 points.

(I would also potentially also only expect to see this drop-down in forums where voting is allowed.)

Hello to all my stalkers.
Luckless
Luckless

I've been around the forums long enough to remember a number of design overhauls. Most were kind of weird at first, think I even publicly disagreed with one of the bigger changes, but got over it and accepted it, and eventually stopped caring. UI changes often seem like being dumped out of a nice comfortable bed and into another comfortable bed... They're both decent, but you get more annoyed at things being disturbed.

Good luck to the staff in quashing the bugs and refining the polish. So happy it is someone else doing it rather than me. :P Web development has always felt like a bloody nightmare of edge cases and "Why is it doing THAT?!"

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Syntac_
Syntac_

This new layout does not play well with 4:3 screens. The sidebar ads take up a quarter. Can these not be moved to the top/bottom for 4:3 screens?

Apart from that I like the new changes.

I'll look at this more. Our right info column standard is 300 pixels, which goes away once it takes over more than 25% of the screen (can confirm by resizing the browser window).

Ok that does work, 300px would be ~23.4% on my screen then. Just means I can't maximise it. Screen res is 1280x1024.

Unduli
Unduli

I don't know if it's me but didn't like Ubuntu font at all, it doesn't render well at least at Firefox. And gray theme is uninspiring imo

mostates by moson?e | Embrace your burden
Avalander
Avalander

Great job with the new interface! I love that the navigation bar is fixed at the top of the screen and I don't have to scroll all the way up to find it anymore.

Lactose
Lactose

When going to a new post in a thread by clicking on the blue dot next to a thread (view=getnewpost), the loaded position does not take the fixed navigation bar into account -- the navigation bar covers the first new post's poster details (name, profile picture, etc.).

Hello to all my stalkers.
LennyLen
LennyLen

I love that the navigation bar is fixed at the top of the screen and I don't have to scroll all the way up to find it anymore.

I'm not getting that behaviour. Anyone else getting/not getting it?

I'm using Chrome Version 54.0.2840.99 m (64-bit), with the following extensions: AdBlock Plus, B.S. Detector, Chrome Remote Desktop, Tampermokey and WebRC.

edit: I only added B.S. Detector yesterday, so it can be ruled out

ryan20fun
ryan20fun

I love that the navigation bar is fixed at the top of the screen and I don't have to scroll all the way up to find it anymore.

I'm not getting that behaviour. Anyone else getting/not getting it?

I'm using Chrome Version 54.0.2840.99 m (64-bit), with the following extensions: AdBlock Plus, B.S. Detector, Chrome Remote Desktop, Tampermokey and WebRC.

edit: I only added B.S. Detector yesterday, so it can be ruled out

I am getting that behavior.

I am using FF 50 Adblock plus(disabed for GD.net :), And some other misc addons that don't affect page loading.

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.