Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked 🤖 Godot

I'm selling the source code + rights of a software which rivals Microsoft's Kinect...

Started by morcontrol Dec 1, 2016 at 1:30 AM 10 replies 3.9k views
Original Post
morcontrol
morcontrol

Long story short: You've probably heard of MS Kinect, which lets you control some Xbox games with gestures. The problem:

  • It works on limited amount of games;
  • 97$.
  • Using Leap Motion and so needs to be controlled with weird gestures.

My software:

  • Should work on 99% of games+;
  • Control it with normal gesture: "human shooting gestures" means shooting, stopping means 'stop', walking means 'walk in the game' etc, etc.

If you need demo + more info, pls. PM or email: perte@abv.bg

Basically, I am planning to sell the technology to big companies, but if the process takes too slow...months and if they want me to make additional changes - I may decide to sell it for even $500 or less.

Promit
Promit

Not so much as a YouTube demo? Come on, be serious.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
morcontrol
morcontrol

^ Thanks for the reply.

I have uploaded 2 Youtube videos + screenshots on some websites. Please PM me if you'r interested.

Thanks,

Bob

Nypyren
Nypyren

Would it kill you to post the links to your videos publicly? I'm not sure everyone wants to PM or e-mail you.

Shaarigan
Shaarigan

Who needs Kinect (like) software in times of VR?

Kylotan
Kylotan



Who needs Kinect (like) software in times of VR?

Most people can't afford VR hardware. I suspect there will be a market for intermediate approaches like this for quite some time. (Interesting read: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-09-23-vr-there-will-be-blood)

Still, if this person isn't willing to share demos of their tech publicly, this looks like snake oil.

Bregma
Bregma



97$. Using Leap Motion and so needs to be controlled with weird gestures.

You don't specify the currency. It's a big world.

Leap Motion is commercial software requiring a paid commercial license. Are you a relicenser or are you trying to sell an add-on to something that already provides what you're providing, but at an extra cost?

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer
EVIL_ENT
EVIL_ENT
The problem with using standard webcams for motion capturing is the huge latency (can also be seen in the video) which makes this mostly useless.
morcontrol
morcontrol

^ The videos are edited. The 2 cameras should be synchronized which means one can make it appear that the character is shooting BEFORE the person makes gun gesture...but the point wasn't to make fake made up videos of course hence the "delay".

Several more things:

1. Yes, the www.bandicam.com watermark was forgotten...

2. The low fps is only bandicam/capturing issue not something related to the software making 2002 NFS run slow.


97$. Using Leap Motion and so needs to be controlled with weird gestures.

You don't specify the currency. It's a big world.

Leap Motion is commercial software requiring a paid commercial license. Are you a relicenser or are you trying to sell an add-on to something that already provides what you're providing, but at an extra cost?

I meant $97 USD of course, not AUD nor CAD.

No, I am trying to be standalone product - that's the goal, not some overpriced hardware.

Promit
Promit

Is this an ML based system? I.e. does it have to be trained with a dataset of gestures ahead of time to recognize? Or can it compute raw pose data?

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
morcontrol
morcontrol

Is this an ML based system? I.e. does it have to be trained with a dataset of gestures ahead of time to recognize? Or can it compute raw pose data?

I'd call it raw, not trained so it will fit of the so called "unsupervised learning". Also, for the facial recognition I'm using the amazing Accord framework, which is built over the equally amazing Aforge but NOT for the gestures. I'm using my own code/logic for the gestures. Accord/Aforge seemed to slow for this kind of thing...or at least I didn't now how to setup for that. I have some screenshots too that demonstrate the way it operates...

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.